Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gammons: Braves May Explore Andruw Jones Deal

AA ERA

Braves Gammons: Braves May Explore Andruw Jones Deal

Interesting note from Peter Gammons's blog a couple of days ago:

"The Braves were heavily involved in the Joey Gathright deal and still could get him from Kansas City. Yes, they need a leadoff hitter, but there is the possibility that they will explore dealing Andruw Jones at the end of the season."

A lot of folks have emailed me asking whether I thought Gathright could end up with the Braves, and my knee-jerk reaction was to dismiss the idea because of Jones. But Gammons makes a good point. Andruw Jones makes $13.5MM next year in the last of his deal. He's reaching the point where his next contract will not offer a positive return on investment for the Braves.

According to Baseball Prospectus, Jones will be worth about $9-10 mil from 2008-09 before the real dropoff begins. Obviously John Schuerholz understands this, and it seems highly unlikely that the Braves will enter the bidding for Andruw's next deal when you have to offer 5/65just to get in the door.

The Braves always seem to be one step ahead. They don't have much in the way of top-shelf outfield talent now that Jeff Francoeur has been called up. It's time to snatch up a couple more Major League ready outfielders, and the Braves have what everyone wants: starting pitching. The Yankees and Red Sox should come calling for John Smoltz and Tim Hudson. And don't you just have this feeling that Kenny Williams will make some phone calls, just because he understands that you can never have too much starting pitching? He hasn't been shy about trading his best prospects and Josh Fields is taking care of business at Triple A.

The Brewers and Nationals were scouting Philip Hughes recently, but that seems to be related to the Yanks' outfield vacancies. It just doesn't seem that New York can acquire any big names while keeping Hughes.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You know, if Kenny Williams wants to offer up Brandon McCarthy for a brave.... giggidy.

I really don't think anything big will happen in terms of selling, John Thomson prolly will be dealt.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man I really think these Braves will become sellers. They havent been in this position for a long time, but those times have changed. But even if they were selling, why shop A. Jones? He is still very talented and IMO the best CF in baseball. And he is still pretty young as well. Franceour and Jones are good players to build around.

I guess if you can get a big deal for Jones, which they likely could, it may be worth it. But someone is going to have to give up a lot of spects for someone like him.

MLB ERA
    I'd rather eat cement than trade Andruw.

Please don't do it!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    I'd rather eat cement than trade Andruw.

Please don't do it!
    HaHa, great words there my man! He is too big a commodity for these Braves.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think this is Peter Gammons stirring the pot in order to hear himself talk!
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Gammons is full of crap. Why would they trade A. Jones? Hell would freeze over before that would happen, at least right now.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA
    If the Braves don't deal him, they will lose him after next season anyways. The Braves won't give him his asking price and you can bet there won't be any hometown discount. So why keep him and just let him walk away for absoultely nothing?

The Braves aren't in contention, he's not having a superb season like he did last year and with that in mind teams may still believe that he can still put up similar numbers like he did last season, and the Braves will still be able to get top talent in return. Otherwise, what happens if he continues to have a slightly off year and then come next year (his contract year) he puts up the same numbers, his value will slightly decrease.

Also, keep in mind that his body has taken a beaten in CF, Peter Gammons even mentioned the wear and tear his body has sustained and that he is constantly sore. Which is not surprising, he plays CF the way it should be but he is also 29 years old, which translates to him entering his prime, but I believe for CF they tend to hit the decline sooner than most of the other positions because of the wear and tear they sustain in CF.

So all in all, you are hearing it here, if he is not moved by the deadline (which I would say there is a 50/50 chance), he will be moved during the offseason or before next years deadline... Write it down.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

There won't be any hometown discount?

Who are you, his agent? Even if you were, he still wouldn't listen to you, like last time he was eligible for FA.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    lol, Scott Boras... ring any bells? The Braves have been trying to cut payroll on their sinking ship in the NL East, why would they sign him to another relatively large contract? They are going to hand it to their young guys like their doing now, and will use guys like Andruw and Smoltz to add even further young talent to surround their young superstars like Jeff Francouer.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Andruw's 29. Hardly ancient.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    According to Baseball Prospectus, Jones will be worth about $9-10 mil from 2008-09 before the real dropoff begins. Obviously John Schuerholz understands this, and it seems highly unlikely that the Braves will enter the bidding for Andruw's next deal when you have to offer 5/65just to get in the door.
    Just ask yourself, will the Braves offer that?

MLB ERA
    While trading Andruw Jones may be a good part of a rebuilding effort, I hardly think Joey Gathright would be any kind of solution on any level.

Also, Jeff Franceour is not a building block at this point.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Is it true you sent him a copy of Drawing a Walk for Dummies?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    I'm sure the Yank-Me's will go after A. Jones and slide Damon over to second base or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast