Thread: If anyone would get the urge in the future

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

If anyone would get the urge in the future

to start another OOTP 6.5 sim league. I have been tinkering with the below roster set:

Download my 1987 League File for OOTP6.5 (941k) from Simleague Central

Download my 1993 League File for OOTP6.51 (6.82MB) from All Sim Baseball

These roster sets are explained in this thread:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=112747

IMO, to make this fair we would have to do a randomized fantasy draft before the league kicks off due to about 10 of the 36 teams being horrible. We could also import 55 Japanese Greats to help fill out the thin Major league rosters. The minor leagues would have to be fillied with fictional players, but if I am reading this correctly, we can import real life rookies each year. The studs are Maddux, Clemens, Gooden, Bonds, Larkin, and many others. A few of the ML players should have their ratings adjusted.

Can you imagine Roger Clemens leading the Austin Outlaws to the World Championship?

I would like to follow in the footsteps of KoZ and Hammer and offer my services as co-commissioner. I do not have large amounts of time to adjust rosters and conduct sims, but I definitely check my leagues 3-5 times a day. (usually more) I would be happy to handle trades and drafts and other specific tasks to make the life of the Commish easier.

Over Christmas, I will start to adjust this roster set to see what it looks like. I will import the 55 Japanese Greats and then conduct a random fantasy draft of all players. I hope that the valuable players will be distributed evenly. If anyone is interested in this please LMK.

MLB ERA
    I'm in if I get the Braves this time.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    you would have to talk to Mission about adding another sim league...I didn't think we were looking to add another one...

MLB ERA
    I didn't think so either but I'm being safe and getting a heads start.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    That's cool. I figured WE would have to talk to him, but since the other half of WE is still unknown I thought I'd at least see if anyone was interested or if anyone had any ideas about how to make that roster set work. I am not aware of any online historical leagues. (that start in 1987) If anyone thinks using this roster set in an online league is a bad idea... Please say so and why.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    I'm in if I get the Braves this time.
    Are you a Bob Horner, Dale Murphy, Rafael Ramirez, Glen Hubbard fan? I lived in Alabama at the age of 11 or 12 and listened to this team on AM radio at night... My first experience as a baseball fan. We moved to Maryland a few months later and Cal and Eddie took their place.

I am guessing it would take an online league at least 5 real time years to "catch up with real MLB time".

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    I have the roster set pretty close to likeable... I must discuss the stat engine with Nick/Mission/MoMo or someone else. The stat engine settings that came with the roster set are less than Nick's TPSL settings for a 30 team league. Common sense would say that a 36 team league would need engine settings larger by one/sixth...

Here is the Zip... Please LMK what can be adjusted to make it better. I appreciate everyone's opinion and plan to keep this roster set on ice until an opportunity opens up for an online league.... or I'll just play solo w/ it...

The 55 Japanese Greats are STUDS... w/ a couple exceptions.

Ok, having trouble attaching the zipped file... when someone enlightens me I'll post it. Until then I can email by request...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Download Link: http://strike3forums.com/Misc/HybridFull.zip

As for the idea, I think it's an interesting one. Historical sims are sometimes hard for people to get into though, but if the idea is ever brought to life, I would go with an actual draft for at least part of it (so a GM feels connected to his team and thus will stay more involved.) In regards to the site though, I can't say. At this point, given our size and large number of members who stay strictly to their OOTP forum (and I really mean the ones who just go there, no one else), I don't think we're going to be looking to add a league until we see more growth as a site or one of the current leagues drops off. Obviously baseball discussion is the focus, and we don't want that to become an afterthought to sims. That isn't a slight against your idea, just the feelings towards any 4th league. If you wanted to keep this on the backburner for the event if one of those do drops off or there is enough growth that we would be comfortable with it, by all means do so.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic
    Are you a Bob Horner, Dale Murphy, Rafael Ramirez, Glen Hubbard fan? I lived in Alabama at the age of 11 or 12 and listened to this team on AM radio at night... My first experience as a baseball fan. We moved to Maryland a few months later and Cal and Eddie took their place.
    I was too young to watch them but my parents watched Horner, Murphy and Hubbard. I don't remember them talking about Raf. I wish I was old enough to watch them back than.

AAA ERA
    I love this idea! If I could be the Cubs I'm so in. With it being 1987 and beyond is good ol Mad Dog Maddux a Cubbie? Plus I'd love to have Ryno in a sim league. So is the roster set a mix of 87 to now? Or from 87 and we add people? Like Mark Grace didn't come out for the Cubs till 1988. Just curious how that all works.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin
    I love this idea! If I could be the Cubs I'm so in. With it being 1987 and beyond is good ol Mad Dog Maddux a Cubbie? Plus I'd love to have Ryno in a sim league. So is the roster set a mix of 87 to now? Or from 87 and we add people? Like Mark Grace didn't come out for the Cubs till 1988. Just curious how that all works.
    Maddux is one of the top prospects and is ML ready. Ryno needed his ratings adjusted becasue he was a 1.0 gold star and I made him a 2.5 Gold Star. Due to this being an expansion league as well... There are 36 teams. The initial roster set had about 10 teams that were ALL one Gold Star players and had ZERO in the farm. To make the league fun... I imported 55 Japanese Greats (real life STUDS!)... There are also about 10 created players that I left after the league created them in the minors due to bad settings.... I deleted about 50 others and after changing to Nick's settings, re-created players to fill the minors. I had to reset and run a fantasy draft (three times!) to make the league even and appealing to an online audience, so Maddux and Ryno are probably not Cubs but they are in there! Some other players are:

A 44 year old 4-star Nolan Ryan... still throwing 100+
    Roger Clemens (2?)
    Dwight Gooden (2?)
    Eddi Murray (31)
    Cal Ripken (26)
    Rickey Henderson(29)
    Tony Gwynn (23)
    Bob Tewksbury (24)
    Barry Bonds (22) 10 10 10 10 9 talent
    Canseco
    McGwire
    Phil and Joe Niekro
    Dale Murphy
    Mike Schmidt
    Ron Guidry (Ithink)
    Dave Righetti
    Goose Gossage
    Eckersley
    Sutter
    Thigpen (21)
    Jose Rijo
    Langston
    Roger McDowell
    Garvey
    Griffey Sr.
    Ozzie Smith
    Harold Reynolds
    a 40 year old Reggie Jackson
    and MANY others that I cannot think of.

According to the read me file, each year a draft class can be imported from Lahman Database and then filled out w/ created players. I still have not figured out how to exactly do that yet...

I'd like to somehow upload the league pages just to allow everyone to look at the rosterset. I also want to respect Mission's statement regarding now not being the time for another league. I am perfectly comfortable waiting as long as it takes for the right time to start another league, if ever... Maybe there is a way to up load the pages and post "gripes", but everyone will haev to realize that we are NOT starting a league.

Also Mission's idea of a fantasy draft is great with me... It could be a huge nightmare to do it live because it goes 60 rounds!!! It might pay to start a draft thread at some point with intentions of the league never getting started for a few "real-life" months. Or someone (me?) could do one round of the draft every Sunday afternoon/evening and everyone send a list in. Randomizing and picking teams will be an interesting time. AS it is the markets are pretty close. Each teams generates between 35,000 and 43,000 in TV revenue. We could set every market to average??? The league will never be perfectly fair, but... for me it doesn't need to. I just enjoy the game.

Rookie ERA
    this sounds like a really cool league