Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Witlon and Schniso Do A Back And Forth Mach Draft

MLB ERA

Re: Witlon and Schniso Do A Back And Forth Mach Draft

Sorry to hijack the thread but if Oakland gets Evans and Van Noy I would be okay with it. I would love it more with a trade down so someone could move up for one of the tackles that slipped in this mock. I don't think it would be an eye popper draft, but it would be a very solid blue collar draft. I personally think LB is one of our stronger units with a productive 3rd rounder Sio Moore and FA acq (2013) Nick Roach in the middle. But Van Noy could immediately compete for that other OLB spot. I haven't seen much on him.
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-26-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If this happens then Jacksonville is truly doomed as a franchise. What people see beyond size I will NEVER understand. I would rather have Mettenburg, Miller, or even Wyoming QB much later in the draft if you are looking for a work-in-progress qb like Savage. Savage is this years Jim Drunkenmiller, Tim Tebow, Jamarcus Russell qb taken well above where he should be and where his talent should be.
    Wrong draft for that. None of the QBs in this draft are ready to start right away, outside of maybe Manziel(I guess). Mettenberger took a huge step forward in 2013, but a lot of that is attributed to Cameron and his WRs. I love the arm, and he should go in the second, but his injury history gives me pause on him over Savage.

This year is just crazy with QBs. Savage has moved from a 5th to a 2nd with his workouts, and guys like Mayock are dropping Bridgewater from the top 10 to the second round based on his. Film wise, I can see why you'd think Savage would be a bust, but him being constantly under pressure is going to destroy any QB, arm or not.

Go back and watch some film on Brett Smith before you mention him again. He's just not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    im in... i start vacation tomorrow, and im on a hiatus from drinking because ive been going to the gym every day. so, ill be bored out of my mind... get mach, shitlon and whoever else involved, and lets get it popping.
    Just remind me. My obligations for the week end at about 6 AM today, so I'll be around.

Sorry to hijack the thread but if Oakland gets Evans and Van Noy I would be okay with it. I would love it more with a trade down so someone could move up for one of the tackles that slipped in this mock. I don't think it would be an eye popper draft, but it would be a very solid blue collar draft. I personally think LB is one of our stronger units with a productive 3rd rounder Sio Moore and FA acq (2013) Nick Roach in the middle. But Van Noy could immediately compete for that other OLB spot. I haven't seen much on him.
    No worries about hijacking, I was out most of the day, anyway, so it's not like a pick was going to be made.

On Oakland: Yeah, not being able to trade down hurt Oakland quite a bit at 5. I even thought about going Bortles there (or even Robinson). But you add another guy at WR and finish outside linebacker. Plus, with next year's QB class...you can still get your guy in the first for when the Matts don't pan out. (Hundley, Mariotta, Petty, Winston, Miller)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Green Bay selects WR Jarvis Landry

- Sure, he didn't run well. His film is quite good, he's a great blocker and he fills a need. With Boykin, Cobb and Nelson in front of him, he doesn't have to play right away, either. I'd prefer to go TE here, and upgrade on Andrew Quarless, but there's no great shakes available after the top 4 in Round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Wrong draft for that. None of the QBs in this draft are ready to start right away, outside of maybe Manziel(I guess). Mettenberger took a huge step forward in 2013, but a lot of that is attributed to Cameron and his WRs. I love the arm, and he should go in the second, but his injury history gives me pause on him over Savage.

This year is just crazy with QBs. Savage has moved from a 5th to a 2nd with his workouts, and guys like Mayock are dropping Bridgewater from the top 10 to the second round based on his. Film wise, I can see why you'd think Savage would be a bust, but him being constantly under pressure is going to destroy any QB, arm or not.

Go back and watch some film on Brett Smith before you mention him again. He's just not that good.

Just remind me. My obligations for the week end at about 6 AM today, so I'll be around.

No worries about hijacking, I was out most of the day, anyway, so it's not like a pick was going to be made.

On Oakland: Yeah, not being able to trade down hurt Oakland quite a bit at 5. I even thought about going Bortles there (or even Robinson). But you add another guy at WR and finish outside linebacker. Plus, with next year's QB class...you can still get your guy in the first for when the Matts don't pan out. (Hundley, Mariotta, Petty, Winston, Miller)
    Why do you hate black people?

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Philadelphia selects DE Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State

The Eagles add a versatile defender who had played several roles for the Broncos, he can drop back into coverage and is deceptively strong at the point of attack. Lawrence comes with plenty of upside and can still add muscle to his frame, he is also quick and has good speed off the edge when he rushes and should help the woes of the Eagles defense.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cincinnati selects OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada

I know they have a need at corner, with all three of their top players aging. But when Marshall Newhouse is your depth at offensive tackle, you probably need to make an addition there. Bitonio has great bloodlines, and is a fast riser that can help out at Tackle, and maybe even play some guard if need be. I did consider Mettenberger here as a developmental QB, with Dalton at the end of his contract, but the biggest need was line and I can't pass it up.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

San Francisco selects CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

The 49ers have another pick at the tail end of the second round to fill their need at receiver or on the interior offensive line, but elect to bring in their own big physical corner in Jean-Baptiste. Stanley Jean-Baptiste has good change of directions skills and patient enough that he can read-and-react to receivers and jump on their breaks. He also has great length and leaping ability to bat down passes.

MLB ERA

Difference being you're talking about spending a Day 3 pick/udfa vs a 2nd rounder on one of the worst talented teams in the NFL (like I said I don't crap on this pick near as much if a Cincy, SF, Detroit, etc makes it). Many people are going to go into a season expecting some return on a 2nd rounder, not so much someone who is brought in just as a summer camp arm. If I'm Jacksonville and I don't believe anyone is a "franchise guy" then I don't bother with a qb period. Use those picks at addressing the rest of the needs take a Mettenburg (if around I expect him early day 3 unless teams start taking qbs like sharks in a feeding frenzy), Murray, etc later along with Stanzi and Henne to get their brains beat in next year while you find your guy in next years draft which you noted is looking much deeeper and find more pieces to what they'll have to work with when that qb comes.

IMO the only team that theoretically HAS to take a QB IMO is Houston. They're a year removed from being a playoff contender and they still have some talent on that team (Johnson at WR, Watts at DE). They have to at least attempt it. The rest have been so bad and so far away IMO that they could address other needs and trying to add to the foundation, if they don't believe any of the QBs are franchise guys.

Of that list I like Hundley the most. Granted I haven't seen much of Mariotta.
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-27-2014 at 04:37 PM.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I've seen up to 11 QBs with 1st to 3rd round grades on them from various places (one of them is just Gil Brandt being weird). Are they all going go by the end of Round 3? Probably not. Could they? Maybe.

MLB ERA

If I'm Jacksonville and I don't believe anyone can start from day 1 then I don't bother with a qb period. Use those picks at addressing the rest of the needs take a Mettenburg (if around I expect him early day 3 unless teams start taking qbs like sharks in a feeding frenzy), Murray, etc later along with Stanzi and Henne to get their brains beat in next year while you find your guy in next years draft which you noted is looking much deeeper and find more pieces to what they'll have to work with when that qb comes.
    If I'm Jacksonville I'm taking the best QB I can find, period. You want a team that's currently relying on Chad Henne to be their signal caller to rely on some late round project to be their long term guy?

A franchise QB doesn't have to start from day 1 to become that franchise QB. Ask the Packers how well making their franchise QB sit for three years worked out for them then still tell me it's a bad idea to take a QB in round 1 just because he's not going to be an Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger and be able to go right away.

And before you tell me Tom Brady and Kurt Warner exist, they're the exception to the norm. Just look up history. The vast majority of franchise QBs come in rounds 1 and 2...mostly 1.

(I'm not saying Savage should be that pick here)
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Roethlisberger didn't start from Day 1...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    If I'm Jacksonville I'm taking the best QB I can find, period. You want a team that's currently relying on Chad Henne to be their signal caller to rely on some late round project to be their long term guy?

A franchise QB doesn't have to start from day 1 to become that franchise QB. Ask the Packers how well making their franchise QB sit for three years worked out for them then still tell me it's a bad idea to take a QB in round 1 just because he's not going to be an Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger and be able to go right away.

And before you tell me Tom Brady and Kurt Warner exist, they're the exception to the norm. Just look up history. The vast majority of franchise QBs come in rounds 1 and 2...mostly 1.

(I'm not saying Savage should be that pick here)
    Let me rephrase that, it wasn't the point I was trying to get across. If Jacksonville doesn't believe there is a "franchise" qb in this draft then you take your lumps with what you got and take someone late. You have a new coaching staff in place and qb is the fastest way to harpoon them is by whiffing and reaching like Jacksonville did the last time they drafted a qb.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA

Roethlisberger didn't start from Day 1...
    He started 13 games in 2004, close enough.

MLB ERA

Let me rephrase that, it wasn't the point I was trying to get across. If Jacksonville doesn't believe there is a "franchise" qb in this draft then you take your lumps with what you got and take someone late. You have a new coaching staff in place and qb is the fastest way to harpoon them is by whiffing and reaching like Jacksonville did the last time they drafted a qb.
    Yeah, I do agree that you don't take a round 1 QB just for the sake of taking one. If there isn't a guy there that you feel can be that franchise guy then just take what can work and hope you can find him next year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

My bad Schis, lost track with all the QB talk in here.

San Diego selects DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame

Nix fits well at nose tackle for SD, so his drop is complete here. He'll quickly slot in between Corey Liuget and Kendall Reyes to sure up the San Diego line, filling the hole created by Cam Thomas' departure to Pittsburgh.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast