Thread: Can we compete next year?

AA ERA

Can we compete next year?

It's not as if the year was a statistical success. The Rockies equaled a franchise record for losses with 97, but they were 31-28 from July 31 to season's end and even won 17 of the final 31 games on the road after a 10-40 beginning to their season outside Coors Field.

"Nothing bodes confidence like success," said manager Clint Hurdle. "Once you get a feel for it, it reaffirms how much you like it."

And the foundation the Rockies put in place in 2005 figures to be back in 2006.

In fact, the lineup they put on the field in their season finale on Sunday could well be the lineup on Opening Day on April 3, 2006 against Arizona at Coors Field.

Some of the things this team did this year seemed to be on the edge of getting there. That improvement on the road and in general near the end was great. If they can keep that momentum going, things could go crazy. Don't underestimate how big that would be to have the same lineup to start next year. These guys came together and learned to win, and I'd love to see them take next year with the same group. Just need to shore up the bench and bullpen and I think they can complete.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think they could do some damage. They just picked up Holliday's option after having a good year but they declined Greene's. Having Barnes for a full season will help a lot and getting Helton to be himself for a full year will too. Pitching is the main problem..AGAIN! Kim needs to go if he is not already a FA. Francis and Wright were disappointing but Fuentes was a bright spot for that pitching staff. The offense is there but they need to find someone who can pitch in that ballpark.

MLB ERA
    Didn't the Rockies have the best record in the NL West for quite awhile post-ASB?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AA ERA
    Something like that. I think they died off a bit near the end, but for most of the 2nd half they had the best post-ASG record.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Short answer, the Rockies will suck next year. But, if they take a plan and execute it, they can find something to build on for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.