View Poll Results: Larry Walker, Hall of Famer?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 20.00%
  • No

12 80.00%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Walker, hall of famer?

Closed
    AAA ERA

Re: Larry Walker, hall of famer?

First off, I said nothing about Walker playing the game in Coors or Joe D. in Yankee Stadium. I was speaking of the time they played the game. When Joe D. played & was entered into the HOF the standard of player was not nearly as high as it is today. Also I believe back when Joe D. played there were several less games per season then the 162 games that Walker could have played in each of his seasons.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I cannot believe you just compared the 56-game hitting streak to hitting 4 homers in a game....that's just a tad ridiculous
    Fine let's enshrine Johnny Vander Meer...

MLB ERA

Not to mention that 4 homeruns was also done by Carlos Delgado, Shawn Green, Ricky Colavito, Lou Gehrig, Pat Seerey, Bobby Lowe, Ed Delahanty, Chuck Klein, Gil Hodges, Joe Adcock, Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, and Bob Horner.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    are you forgetting the value and mysticism and popularity and importance and difficulty level and longevity required for this record? Are you forgetting that this is probably the most well-known and highly-touted record in sports? Are you forgetting that it came in the middle of an incredible career of Joe DiMaggio? Please stop trying to save your Larry Walker by degrading one of the most incredible records in all of sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    First off, I said nothing about Walker playing the game in Coors or Joe D. in Yankee Stadium. I was speaking of the time they played the game. When Joe D. played & was entered into the HOF the standard of player was not nearly as high as it is today. Also I believe back when Joe D. played there were several less games per season then the 162 games that Walker could have played in each of his seasons.
    If anything the players back then were better...

And I'm making a point on how good Larry Walker is not how bad Joe D is...

The standard of player is lower now, except the gap has widened...everyone had similar numbers with some players truly excelling...

Nowadays from the leader to the middle of the pack on almost any leaderboard there is a huge discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Not to mention that 4 homeruns was also done by Carlos Delgado, Shawn Green, Ricky Colavito, Lou Gehrig, Pat Seerey, Bobby Lowe, Ed Delahanty, Chuck Klein, Gil Hodges, Joe Adcock, Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, and Bob Horner.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    are you forgetting the value and mysticism and popularity and importance and difficulty level and longevity required for this record? Are you forgetting that this is probably the most well-known and highly-touted record in sports? Are you forgetting that it came in the middle of an incredible career of Joe DiMaggio? Please stop trying to save your Larry Walker by degrading one of the most incredible records in all of sports.
    So?

This is what's wrong...I don't care about hype at all...I don't care that I personally love Joe D and that I laud his record all the time.

Vander Meer did something that no one has EVER done or even come close two...two no hitters back to back.

How many people have been within ten games of Joe D?

And FTR, 18 consecutive no hit innings requires as much skill.

So are you saying based off of that Joe D deserves to be in the Hall?

Larry Walker is only behind George Brett and Frank Thomas at the closest average to .400 in the modern era...he did it in 1999...

You seriously need to drop your personal views and look OBJECTIVELY...I love Joe D as much as anyone here...all I'm saying is that Larry Walker is comparable except for the fanfare and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame

MLB ERA

the streak was more than fanfare and hype. it was incredible, and it was done with durability, something Walker failed to achieve. If he had durability, he probably would have been in the Hall. But this is exactly what everybody else on this thread is saying. Walker didn't have durability. Walker may have comparable stats EXCEPT FOR THE STREAK, which represents the difference between being in the hall and not.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Closed
    AAA ERA

If anything the players back then were better...

And I'm making a point on how good Larry Walker is not how bad Joe D is...

The standard of player is lower now, except the gap has widened...everyone had similar numbers with some players truly excelling...

Nowadays from the leader to the middle of the pack on almost any leaderboard there is a huge discrepancy.
    I kinda disagree with the assumption that players back then are better than players of today.Players today have so many more advantages than the players of the past giving them the technology advantage to become stronger and more physically talented then the players of the past. Of course I have never seen players like Joe D. or Babe Ruth or even Mickey Mantle or even all of the players from the 70's and most from the the 80's, but the players of today like Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez would be monsters if they played back then.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    I kinda disagree with the assumption that players back then are better than players of today.Players today have so many more advantages than the players of the past giving them the technology advantage to become stronger and more physically talented then the players of the past. Of course I have never seen players like Joe D. or Babe Ruth or even Mickey Mantle or even all of the players from the 70's and most from the the 80's, but the players of today like Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez would be monsters if they played back then.
    Without technology would they be as good?

I don't think so. I've heard video makes Albert Pujols...so I don't know

Closed
    AAA ERA

I don't know, but technology has happened and the players have gotten better so it is reality. From what I have seen from Pujols is that he can rake with the best of em.

MLB ERA

And booze and hot dogs MADE Babe Ruth. Would he be as good if his diet were regulated in 130947230957 different ways?

Closed
    AAA ERA

He would have been even a better player with todays technology. He would have been amazing, but if he would be would have played today and had the booze & hotdog mentality he would have been the hitting equivilant of Sidney Ponson.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

All right, let's look at this for a second...

Larry Walker in Coors: 2050 AB, .385/.458/.721, 152 HR, 273 BB to 272 K's
    So Larry Walker at home hit for a higher average than Ty Cobb...hmm...

Larry Walker outside of Coors: 4284 AB, .281/.362/.494, 199 HR, 550 BBs to 838 K's
    Most comparable player here: Fred Lynn. Anyone think Fred Lynn's a Hall of Famer?

I rest my case.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post

Larry Walker outside of Coors: 4284 AB, .281/.362/.494, 199 HR, 550 BBs to 838 K's
    Most comparable player here: Fred Lynn. Anyone think Fred Lynn's a Hall of Famer?

I rest my case.

Great comparison

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post

I rest my case.
    People voted yes for Carl Yastremski

Let's see. 5948 AB, .306/.402/.503, 237 HR, 959 BBs to 642 Ks at Fenway, Comparable to hmm...Larry Walker.
    Away: 6040 AB, .264/.357/.422, 215 HR, 886 BBs to 753 Ks Away from Fenway, comparable to Rey Ordonez...

FTR, there are tons of players who hit better at home in the HOF...Walker is a slight anamoly but does that mean that players shouldn't be inducted because they played in Coors? Well then I guess Yaz shouldn't be in because of Fenway...

Let's look at another player, Kirby Puckett...

KP: .318 AVG, 207 HR, 134 SB, .837 OPS, 2304 H, 1085 RBI, .989 FP, 142 OFAST, 7244 AB
    Walker: .313 AVG, 383 HR, 230 SB, .965 OPS, 2160 H, 1311 RBI, .987 FP, 155 OFAST, 6907 AB

Puckett's in the Hall...Walker has numbers slightly better...

Want me to keep finding comparable players in the Hall?

It isn't a difficult thing to do.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast