Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royals looking at Shealy

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals looking at Shealy

The Royals have tried various ways to send left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt to the Rockies for first baseman Ryan Shealy, and now the teams are discussing an expanded deal.

Under one proposal, the Rockies would get Affeldt and a minor-league pitching prospect and the Royals would land Shealy and a major-league reliever.

The Yankees and Orioles also are in the mix for Shealy.
    Not a bad deal for either team as the Royals have got some pitching in MacDougal and Dessens trades so they can let some go and they need someone to replace Sweeney on the DL. I meant to put at firstbase. The Rockies would get a potentially good reliever or they could try him as a starter.

Here's hoping Shealy pans out for KC and good luck to Affeldt and Denny Bautista as they move on in their careers.

AA ERA
    Bad trade for the Rocks, could have gotten better for him I think.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If he is going to be so good, why didn't they consider trading Helton (older) to possibly get more? They could have traded him to a contender and gotten a lot more I'd think.

MLB ERA
    The more I look at it, the more it surprises me. Helton turns 33 in 2 weeks and appears to be on a decline somewhat. I can't believe that they wouldn't try to trade him instead of Shealy. I just think you'd get more for Helton than just Affeldt and Bautista (who they got for Shealy).

AA ERA
    I agree, I would have kept Shealy to go with those young and talented hitters like Holliday, Atkins, and Hawpe. I kept thinking to myself when the Rockies were shopping Shealy, "Why aren't the Rockies trying to move Todd Helton instead?" Especially since he carries higher value, then again I can understand why it may be a bit hard because he is 33 and has a huge contract. But, had I been the GM, I would have done everything in my power to keep Shealy and deal Helton.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Todd Helton is the Rockies. He is their star and he is one of the best hitters in the game. Plus it is not so easy to move his contract. 33 is not that old for a first baseman. His numbers have delined but he still will finish with a .300 average. They could have gotten more for Shealy I agree but you just don't trade your first legit HOF callibur star.

MLB ERA
    wow, I didn't realize Helton was making over $16 mil...their payroll is only $40 mil...that's 40% of their payroll. That has to be the reason that they couldn't or didn't consider moving him. How many years does he left on that contract? I can't find the info...if this were his last year, they may have had a shot to move him if they ate some of that contract, but I'm sure he's got a few more years left.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think its 2008 but it might be 2009.

MLB ERA
    His contract runs until like 2011 or 2012.

How can anyone care enough to comment on this?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Here is the breakdown of Todd Helton's nine-year, $141.5 million contract extension that includes an option for 2012. Helton can inform the team at the end of the 2006 season that he wants to become a free agent after the 2007 season, his only "opt out" opportunity during the contract.

2003 — $10.6 million

2004 — $11.6 million

2005 — $12.6 million

2006 — $16.6 million

2007 — $16.6 million

2008 — $16.6 million

2009 — $16.6 million

2010 — $16.6 million

2011 — $19.1 million

Option for 2012 — $23 million or a $4.6 million buyout

MLB ERA
    wow...he'd be 39 if the contract ran its entire course

MLB ERA
    Helton pretty much has the worst contract (for the team's sake) in sports history.

MLB ERA
    Yup, he'll make Jeff Bagwell's anchor of a contract look like nothing soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast