Source

The 29-year-old Stanford is entering his first full season since undergoing Tommy John surgery on his elbow in 2004.

Mention that '04 season to Stanford, and he's likely to grimace at the thought of what might have been. He fought hard and fought well for the fifth starting job on that club, and his first two outings of the season saw him compile an 0.82 ERA, as he gave up just one earned run in 11 innings.

Something popped in Stanford's elbow during that second start, though. Next thing he knew, he was on the DL and under the knife.

He looks back on it now with a healthy dose of perspective.

"Things happen for a reason," he said. "I think your makeup and character shows when you have something like that happen."

Stanford finally got back on the mound last July, as he made two rehab appearances at Mahoning Valley and one at Lake County. After being activated from the DL, he was optioned to the Minors, where he finished up the year by pitching in eight games at Double-A Akron and four at Triple-A Buffalo.

The stats were encouraging. Stanford posted a 2.45 ERA at Akron, allowing earned runs in only three of his eight games. At Buffalo, he had a 1.29 ERA.

But Stanford still has to affirm to himself and his organization that he's all the way back. The club is using camp to evaluate who will likely be the sixth, spot starter this season, and Stanford wants to be that guy.
That would be great if he could make a comeback, but I think he is going to be stuck behind a few guys. I wouldnt be surprised if we see him make a couple of starts though if he stays healthy.