Thread: My thoughts on: Joe Borowski

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

My thoughts on: Joe Borowski

I do not have faith in Joe Borowski as the Cleveland Indians closer.

I get told a lot of "he isn't that bad, he reminds me a lot of Bob Wickman". Wickman would give me heartburn when he wasn't on his game, but most times he still got the save. Borowski gives me ulcers, because when he isn't on his game, he is almost always unable to get the save.

When he's on his game, his pitches are untouchable. He strikes guys out or gets them to hit lazy fly balls. But when he's not on his game, he's very hittable. Normally that's not so bad because you can still get outs. But Borowski gives up a lot of home runs and a lot of walks when he's hittable.

I know, he had 45 saves last year, best in the AL. But if it isn't a 3-run lead, then the lead isn't safe with Borowski on the mound.

This also shows a disturbing trend with Borowski. Last year he pitched his best when in Cleveland. He can't seem to close on the road. That's a big problem come the playoffs where we may be playing a deciding game of the ALDS, ALCS, or World Series on the road. If he can't close a game out on the road in the regular season, I have no faith in him to do so in the playoffs.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

Re: My thoughts on: Joe Borowski

Borowski is such a streaky closer, it drives so many people crazy. He'll have good stretches, then he'll lapse into a stretch where he'll load the bases and strike the last guy out, giving Indians fans and fantasy owners everywhere a heart attack. Then he'll lapse into a few games where he does what he did last night......give up a walk off grand slam after a walk, single, walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Rookie ERA

I hate every time he comes in to close out a game. I just don't feel like we have the game won.

When Rivera comes in for the Yankees, I feel like it's game over. When Nathan comes in for the Twins, same thing.

When Borowski comes in for the Indians, I get worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48 View Post
    I hate every time he comes in to close out a game. I just don't feel like we have the game won.

When Rivera comes in for the Yankees, I feel like it's game over. When Nathan comes in for the Twins, same thing.

When Borowski comes in for the Indians, I get worried.
    Could be worse man. You could have LaTroy Hawkins.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomberz View Post
    Could be worse man. You could have LaTroy Hawkins.
    Good point.

MLB ERA

How many blown saves did he have last season? Usually, when he comes in, the Indians are ahead by 2 or 3 runs, and he gives one back. Not really a big deal. When he comes in and the Indians are only up by 1, he usually handles the situation well though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

He blew another game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is on the DL after having his arm examined. Betancourt should be prepared to take care of the closer's role for the rest of the year.

Rookie ERA

When Borowski was on the mound throwing pitches before the top of the 9th inning last night, I looked at my friend who went to the game with me and said:

"We can leave now, the game's over. Borowski's gonna blow the game."

What does he do? Gives up a bloop single to a slumoping Ortiz because Dellucci was playing way deep, too deep to make the catch. Then his first pitch to Manny, he crushes it 412 feet into the left field bleachers near where I was sitting.

This is also part Wedge's fault though:

1. He put Borowski in to save the game with just a one-run lead. Borowski's velocity has been down since the opener, his "fastball" to Ramirez registered 83 MPH on the radar gun. Manny said he was confused, he didn't know if it was a fastball or a changeup.

2. He let Borowski pitch to Manny Ramirez. Manny is a known Indians killer. However, Wedhe decided to pitch to Ramirez instead of intentionally walking him and pitching to the next guy.