Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Basham to Padres for David Ross

MLB ERA

Reds trade Basham to Padres for David Ross

Just announced. They also DFA Standridge.

Sounds like a deal is in the works, probably with LaRue involved.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Err, two more pitchers gone. Let's not argue talent but how many open slots are we going to have in AA and AAA? Or are we just rushing all our prospects to the upper level so Kriv can say we have pitchers beyond our lower minor leagues?

Oh yeah, and David Ross is craptacular.

MLB ERA
    Oh yay. Let's make the offense even worse and continue to have the pitching suck, O'Krivsky. Trading good offensive players for average to below average pitching like you've done so far isn't how you build a good pitching staff.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ross's scouting report:
    2004 Season

After David Ross banged out 10 homers in only 124 at-bats in 2003, the Dodgers had high hopes that he could provide similar pop over a full season. How wrong they were. Not only did Ross hit half as many longballs in more at-bats, but he failed to make contact almost one-third of the time. Even after Paul Lo Duca was traded to the Marlins, Ross remained buried on the bench.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Ross can turn on mistakes on the inner half, but that's about the extent of his batting prowess. He cannot catch up with above-average heat and has little chance against anything with a wrinkle. Ross went to an 0-2 count in more than 20 percent of his plate appearances last season. On the basepaths, he runs like a catcher, and his hands and feet are not that quick behind the plate. While Ross has adequate arm strength, his throws are often offline.

2005 Outlook

No longer a kid, Ross proved last year that he does not have the talent to play in the major leagues. The Dodgers will be upgrading at the position this season, and Ross will return to Triple-A Las Vegas, only coming up should an injury strike one of the frontliners.
    Basham's AA stats:
    Code:
    Year	Team Name	League	Age	Org.	Level	W 	L 	ERA 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	GF 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	WP 	BK  	h9 	hr9 	w9 	k9 	whip
    2005	Chattanooga	Sou	25	Cin	AA	5 	3 	2.98 	10 	10 	0 	0 		0 	51.1 	52 	20 	17 	5 	9 	46 	3 	0  	9.12 	0.88 	1.58 	8.06 	1.19
    Did Basham have much of a future? Not really, but more so than Ross. Maybe I am mis-understanding the deal though.

MLB ERA
    A 26 year old putting up good numbers in AA for an utterly useless catcher.

Krivsky is a winner.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    David Ross: The Catcher Who Can Do Nothing.

MLB ERA
    Ross has power, and absolutely nothing else. He's a bum who has managed to fail as a catcher with the Dodgers, Pirates, and now the Padres. And Krivsky gave up two pitchers who could do something for us in the future to get him, and now he's going to trade LaRue for useless crap.

MLB ERA
    Well, to be fair, Krivsky could pull some miracle deal out of his ass for LaRue and get a great return. Pass judgement on the suck that he has done, not on the suck he will inevitably do.

He very well could deal LaRue to someone like Milwaukee for one of their back-of-the-rotation guys who could probably immediately become the #2 in Cinci.

MLB ERA
    Milwaukee isn't gonna give up Capuano or Davis, and I'd rather have LaRue than Ohka or Bush.

MLB ERA
    If this involves a good LaRue trade, I like the deal.

Otherwise, it just doesn't matter to me at all. I am pleased to dump Standridge. That is good.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    The problem being a LaRue trade isn't going to land us very much. The market for catchers isn't exactly large, and LaRue isn't much cheaper than Bengie Molina, who got almost no interest from anyone.

giving up on basham is just stupid, flat out. We nurse him back to health for 2years getting nothing for it, and then when it looks like he could turn a corner, deal him for what seems like absolute rubish.

Ross is having a good spring, .529 .652 1.118, not that that means jack.

krivsky told lancaster that this doesn't have anything to do with additional trades, but he also said the reds top scout was watching arroyo pitch coincidentally, so he clearly has no intention of being honest with the media or fans.

also, it seems pretty likely to me that standridge will go through waivers, not that i care that much about losing him if he doesn't.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster
    Krivsky says nothing should be read into this, as far as other potential trades. I suppose we'll play that one by ear.

"We like David Ross," said Krivsky. "He’s a very good defensive catcher. It’s almost like pitching – you can never have enough catching. There aren’t any predetermined things here as far as the roster goes. The possibility of carrying three catchers exists. I’m not saying it’s an absolute, but we’ll have 10 or 11 days to evaluate it after getting (Ross) in here."
    Oh yay, more dishonesty. Come out and say it, jackass. Lying to our faces didn't work for O'Brien, and it's not gonna work for you.

MLB ERA
    Hahahaha... "You can never have enough catching." that's a good one.

If he's not lying about this, and he actually plans on keeping 3 catchers on the roster, he's even dumber than he seems.

MLB ERA
    What the hell is up with this? My posts keep getting cut off after a few words. This is screwed up, yo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast