Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds trade Basham to Padres for David Ross

AA ERA
    "You can never have enough catching."
    Excellent. It goes right along with the theory that you can never have too many 2nd baseman.

AA ERA
    I really dont know what to think of this trade. Especially looking at Bashams decent numbers in Chattanooga last season:

10 GS 5-3 2.98 ERA 51.1 IP 52 H 20 R 17 ER 5 HR 9 BB 46 K 1.19 WHIP

Not off the chart numbers, but decent, especially for the Reds organization. I think Krivsky likes Ross alot b/c when he has good seasons, his OBP is decent. Here is a link to his lifetime numbers. The only way we wouldnt be shopping a catcher is if one of the 3 is going to be the backup 1B and we cut Cruz. That is the only thing I could think of that would keep them all. But usually, where there is smoke, there is fire.

MLB ERA
    I'm not totally convinced there won't be more trades coming.

Still, even if there aren't, this move is just a "ehh" to me. It is a meaningless one for me. Doesn't cause any real response either way. I don't care about Standridge or Basham and I don't care about Ross. Just useless fodder in all cases.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    The problem is, Ross hurts the team if he ends up on the 25-man roster.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    The problem is, Ross hurts the team if he ends up on the 25-man roster.
    I doubt he does. If he does, I bet it's because Narron thinks he can play the game the right way. I doubt he's old enough though, which is why I doubt it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

he's out of options so he's going to make the team or be put on waivers, where he will either get taken meaning we gave basham away for nothing, or he won't, showing that we could have gotten him off of waivers and that we gave away basham for nothing.

you never know who is going to break out, and whether you think basham was useless fodder or not he had a good run at AA last year and it would be stupid to have given him away for nothing.

it will be equally stupid to have 3 catchers on this team (especially considering the fact that hatteberg can catch, so really 4), so unless this move has a corrosponding follow up move, it seems pretty stupid anyway you cut it.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    If he makes the team, he won't play an important role. Obviously they didn't think Basham would be playing one.

It really seems a move could be coming, despite what Krivsky is saying. I wouldn't be totally surprised if something happens.

MLB ERA
    If he makes the team, he'll play a very important role - taking a roster spot away from someone better.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Krivsky on 1360 Homer right now:

"Ross gives us more flexibility and catchers are hard to come by."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Ross's scouting report:

Basham's AA stats:
    Code:
    Year	Team Name	League	Age	Org.	Level	W 	L 	ERA 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	GF 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	WP 	BK  	h9 	hr9 	w9 	k9 	whip
    2005	Chattanooga	Sou	25	Cin	AA	5 	3 	2.98 	10 	10 	0 	0 		0 	51.1 	52 	20 	17 	5 	9 	46 	3 	0  	9.12 	0.88 	1.58 	8.06 	1.19
    Did Basham have much of a future? Not really, but more so than Ross. Maybe I am mis-understanding the deal though.
    Look at his K/BB ratio. Pretty damn good. I don't see why the Reds needed another catcher. You guys have two good ones there already in Valentin and LaRue. And the Reds giving up a pitcher is not shit I want to hear. I want to hear the opposite.

MLB ERA
    Shitty catchers really aren't hard to come by. We've already got Sardinha and Perez who can't hit, and they can both play way better defense than Ross.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with all of you guys. I absolutely hate this trade if something does not follow it. Right now, I am highly dissapointed and I am one the the guys that liked the Arroyo trade even if it was bad timing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12