Thread: early cases for the bullpen

early cases for the bullpen

assuming that mercker and weathers are the only guarantees for the relief corps, who has the early lead for the other spots? (Hammond and white may be all but guaranteed, i really don't know)

so far i'd take:

ERA - IP - H - BB - SO

T Coffey - 0.00 - 3.0 - 3 - 2 - 1
    A Simpson - 0.00 - 3.0 - 2 - 2 - 4
    C Hammond - 0.00 - 2.0 - 3 - 0 - 1
    M Burns - 2.25 - 4.0 - 2 - 1 - 1
    L Hudson - 3.00 - 3.0 - 2 - 3 - 4

i'd like to see belisle and shackelford turn it on to battle with burns and hudson, but i wouldn't mind taking this group north. i think wagner needs to learn how to dominate in the minors before he comes up again.

coffey, simpson, and hammond seem like a strong group, with a righty, a lefty, and a power arm.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    There aren't many spots to compete for. Despite what Narron is saying, I think Coffey is pretty much guaranteed a spot unless he totally explodes. Same thing with Belisle.

Weathers
    Mercker
    White
    Hammond
    Coffey
    Belisle

That leaves one spot for Wagner, Standridge, Burns, Simpson, Shackelford, or Hudson. The team would be better off if we didn't have White and Hammond at all, if you look at our pen. Shackelford was dominant last year and he's way younger than Hammond, not to mention he's capable of spot-starting if necessary. I'd take any of the other guys I mentioned over White.

I see Rick White being the Ben Weber of this season.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am dissapointed, but right now I would have to take Wagner off my 25 man roster as well. He is going to have to get some things done in Louisville. He is simply in the case of being called up far too early. I would likely look at Simpson further and have him take Wagner's place with a good spring. So far so good for that thinking.

My for sures:

Coffey
    Weathers
    Mercker
    Hammond

My most wanted:

Belisle
    Shakelford
    Simpson

Ones that will likely make it, but only because they are a "veteran":

White
    Burns

Ones that should get a long look:

Hudson
    Wagner

I expect it to be:

Weathers CL
    Mercker SU
    Belisle LRP
    Coffey MRP
    Hammond MRP
    White MRP
    Burns MRP

Louisville:

Simpson CL
    Wagner SU
    Hudson LRP
    Shackelford MRP
    Standridge MRP

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    There aren't many spots to compete for. Despite what Narron is saying, I think Coffey is pretty much guaranteed a spot unless he totally explodes. Same thing with Belisle.

That leaves one spot for Wagner, Standridge, Burns, Simpson, Shackelford, or Hudson. The team would be better off if we didn't have White and Hammond at all, if you look at our pen. Shackelford was dominant last year and he's way younger than Hammond, not to mention he's capable of spot-starting if necessary. I'd take any of the other guys I mentioned over White.
    yeah, the white signing was pointless. Hammond was better than white last year, so i mind it less, but it's also stupid if it takes a spot from shackelford. Although shakelford doesn't have a long history of success, and could have been a fluke.

who knows now with milton and wilson hurt. some of these guys might get some starts and then get shifted into the pen.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    I don't expect Shackelford to do as good as he did last year, but Hammond was horrendous in the second half of last year and I think he throws a slower fastball than Tim Wakefield and Jaime Moyer at this point. He's fine, but I'd prefer Love Shack to him and just about anyone in our entire organization over White.

yeah, i certainly wouldn't prefer him to shack, but it's a classic reds maneuver at this point. Hey, got a young guy who might be decent and is real cheap? Why not sign an older guy who's no better and probably worse for more money!

i think belise and standridge gave up the runs in the twins game today, but no one really sounded good.

I'll say this. I disagree with jerry narron on most everything it seems, but listening to the twins game today, i sort of got his message about control. It didn't seem like anyone had any idea where the ball was going, and this is after he's already been pretty vocal about throwing strikes.

simpson barely got out of the ninth unscathed, but i wonder if it means anything that he's been used in two "save" situations so far.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    I don't want Standridge or Simpson in the pen. I'm not sure on Shackelford. I might prefer Hammond over him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Narron on white: "We saw him be very good last year, and the times he wasn't good against us were when he was on back-to-back days or he had been used a lot," Narron said. "It's something we're just going to have to watch and make sure we don't overuse him."

great, so we have to be delicate with our aging/ineffective reliever. Glad we have that veteran presence.

i'd bet a 4way that the guy white pushes to the minors would be a better option for the club.
    Reds MVP Race