Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Minor League Discussion

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Danget! Chick gets touched up for 4 runs in the third. 5-4 Lookouts losing now.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Dayn Perry (who rocks like I have pointed out) has put three Reds in his top 10 NL Central prospect list.

2. Edwin Encarnacion, 3B, Reds
    Acquired: 9th round, 2000, Caguas HS (Caguas, PR)

In past seasons, Encarnacion has shown strong plate discipline, good gap power, an ability to hit for average, speed on the bases and a capable glove at third. This year, he ramped up his power numbers at AAA-Louisville before his promotion to Cincinnati. Once he seasons his approach at the plate and adjusts to major league pitching, Encarnacion figures to be a perennial All-Star.

6. Homer Bailey, RHP, Reds
    Acquired: 1st round, 2004, La Grange HS (La Grange, TX)

Another fire-balling, prep-trained right-hander from Texas in the mold of so many others. ... Bailey sports a mid-90s fastball and a plus curve. In 2004, he saw very limited action in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League after signing, and this season he's in the Low-A Midwest League. There he's fanned well more than a batter per inning and done a fine job of keeping the ball in the park, but he's struggled badly with his control. He needs to harness his stuff and cultivate an off-speed pitch, but he's still a highly promising arm. It's possible he'll wind up as a dominating reliever.

10. Travis Wood, LHP, Reds
    Acquired: 2nd round pick 2005 First-Year Player Draft, Alexander, Ark.)

Wood has logged only 30 innings as a pro, but the results thus far have been highly impressive: 50 strikeouts, 12 walks, 16 hits, 0 home runs, 4 runs. His fastball hits the mid-90s on occasion, which is outstanding velocity for an 18-year-old lefty. His supporting pitches need work, and his delivery is a little on the violent side; however, there's no ignoring that heater of his. Wood is long-term project, but he's one worth watching.
    Full Article Link

MLB ERA
    I find it hard to believe that the Reds have the 2nd best farm system in the NL Central and the Pirates have the worst. The Pirates are loaded at pitcher.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Bailey a dominating releiver? man, I want this guy to start for us in a few seasons. What do you guys think of this?

MLB ERA
    booker faced six batters last night.

struck out all six.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    WOW! Uhhh.. can we see a callup in September? Somehow I still doubt it.

MLB ERA
    he isn't on the 40 man, but dano isn't ruling it out

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bruce named the top Pioneer League prospect

1. JAY BRUCE, of, Billings Mustangs (Reds)
    Age: 18 Ht: 6-2 Wt: 200 B-T: L-L Drafted/Signed: Reds '05 (1)

Bruce was a little-known player from east Texas prior to last summer, when he played alongside Roger Clemens' son Koby and other prospects on the Houston Heat, a prominent Houston-based summer league team. His five-tool potential couldn't be concealed, and he blossomed into the 12th overall pick in the 2005 draft.

He homered in his first game with Billings and again in the playoffs, standing out as an 18-year-old in a league loaded with four-year college players. Bruce has good bat speed, a picture-perfect swing that should yield above-average power and a patient approach. He uses all fields and makes consistent hard contact.

An average runner, Bruce has good instincts in the outfield as well as on the bases. He mans center field adequately, but projects to eventually move to right field, where his power potential and plus arm profile well. He has excellent makeup and aptitude
    Article Link

Q: Brandon from Cincinnati asks:
    Jay Bruce-next Larry Walker?
    A:

Moderator: That's been the most common comparison. Bruce's body is long, strong and lean and his swing is smooth and powerful. He still lacks an advanced feel for the game, though his instincts aren't bad and he has a willingness to absorb instruction and seems to have a strong desire to improve. There's not much pretension to this kid, which you have to like from a player who was taken in the first half of the first round. With his tools and work ethic, the Walker comp might come to fruition.
    Chat transcript link

AFL update

I didn't know that hudson was going to the AFL did someone else drop out? He doesn't seem like prime prospect material, and he's pitching like it. The AFL is stacked with hitting this year notes Gammons, with the league hitting .315 right now, so struggling pitchers should be looked at with that understanding, as should struggling hitters (Votto).

I'm liking allan simpson more and more, and i think he will challenge for the closer's role next year, if narron has the guts to let him.

Denorfia continues to impress and assert that he's the real deal. He's hit at every level this year, and may have made both kearns and pena obsolete, especially if the reds bring back aurillia and have freel as a back up OF.

Luke Hudson 2GS 0-1 6.14 ERA 7.1 IP 10h 5er 0hr 2bb 8k
    Bubba Nelson 4G 1-1 4.05 ERA 6.2 IP 5h 3er 1hr 3bb 4k
    Allan Simpson 2G 1-0 0.00 ERA 3.1 IP 2h 0er 0hr 2bb 3k

Name G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    Chris Denorfia 31 8 12 3 1 0 10 17 5 5 2 1 .486 .548 .387
    Kevin Howard 7 20 3 6 1 0 1 4 10 3 3 1 0 .391 .500 .300
    Joey Votto 3 10 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 .182 .100 .100
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am sure there were better choices in terms of actual prospects that we could had sent over Hudson but I believe the Reds are hoping that he can find his control and give them the optimism they had for him just one year ago. I imagine a strong showing from him could slightly alter their targets this offseason.

Anyway, I don't know how sold I am on Simpson. To be honest, I have yet to see him actually throw but I heard his stuff was pretty decent if he could locate it. Could be a surprise arm next year though.

MLB ERA
    simpson throws the heat he's just gotta learn his control

kinda like a joe valentine esq

Should i just start calling these posts simpson-watch?

update from mesa:

Denorfia 47ab 5-2b 1-3b 10rbi 7bb 8k 2sb 1cs .319 .418 .468
    slowed down on the power, but continues to get on base and score runs. the reds are going to have some tough decisions to make with this kid come spring.

Howard 35ab 2-2b 2-hr 7rbi 5bb 4k 1sb .314 .400 .543
    nothing wrong with what howard is doing at 2nd. people have said that the reds are higher on bergolla than this kid, but i can't imagine why, and it seems his presence at the afl might cast some doubt on those claims.

Hanigan 20ab 1-3b 4k .150 .150 .250
    after a decent year at AA, he looks like he's getting outmatched even by the weak pitching in the AFL this year. Larue and Valentin must be happy

Votto 14ab 1bb 3k .071 .133 .071
    yikes.

Hudson 0-1 5.84era 3g 12.1ip 17h 0hr 3bb 14k
    must have had a decent start since he lowered his era some. second on the team in IP, no HR, with a great k/bb ratio, but just so hittable.

Nelson 1-1 4.15era 5g 8.2ip 7h 2hr 3bb 4k
    burned by the long ball and not striking many people out, nelson is still getting outs that a lot of pitchers aren't this year, and is seeing more time for it.

Simpson 2-0 0.00era 3g 5.2ip 2h 3bb 5k
    Allan "yet to give up a run" simpson continues to languish on the bench for some reason. His whip is under 1 but not by enough to make me think he'll go forever without giving up another run, OR WILL HE!!!???
    Reds MVP Race

Simpson watch

more updates from mesa:

kevin howard and chris denorfia show no signs of slowing up. Denorfia hit his second HR of the short season yesterday, and is firmly entrenched as the #2 guy in the lineup, while howard usually hits 3rd as the dh or 2b.

kh: 57 AB .368 .455 .579
    cd: 68 AB .309 .420 .544

none of the other reds are seeing much playing time, which makes sense, since they have all pretty much stunk. votto and hannigan continue to bring up the rear as far as offensive stats, though they have flip-flopped positions. now votto is the second worst hitter on the team.

on the mound, the news, as always, is allan "whirling dervish" simpson. 2.1 more scoreless innings yesterday with 3 k's, brining his total to 13 IP, no ER, 7 hits, four walks, and 11 ks. and he's 4-0. he could still bring the walks down a little, but a whip of 0.85 will get the job done usually. so the simpson for closer campaign chugs along.

hudson had another hudsonesque start: 5 IP 3 runs, and has a hudsonesque (mediocre but not terrible) ERA of 5.51.

bubba nelson has begun his decent after a decent start and now has a 6.39 ERA.
    Reds MVP Race

Nooooo!!!!!

Despite this from arizona two days ago, not all is well with the solar sox:

"Sox crush Dogs
    November 7, 2005

Mesa scored in six of the first seven innings in building a 17-0 lead. Chris Denorfia (Reds) chipped in with three hits, a homer and drove in three runs."

Denorfia continues to tear the league apart at .333/.421/.570, and kevin howard, while loosing a little power, stays very strong at .423/.494/.590

votto's struggles continue and he's back down to hitting .172, with hannigan at .216.

But those guys were lost causes in this league a long time ago, that's not the disquieting news.

The bad news is that Allan simpson finally gave up a run. in 14.1 innings his ERA is now 0.63, with 14 k's.

hudson has his era under 5 with 20 k's in 22.1 innings and has bounced back nicely after a shakey start. bubba nelson hasn't really been used much.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Hudson is working out the kinks. The strikeouts are nice but I wonder how his control has been (with his stuff, even if it's not in the strikezone, at the level of competition he'll get his K's.)

Also, I love to hear about Denorfia, this guy continues to surprise me.

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast