Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Discussion

AA ERA
    Bats roll to rare four-game sweep

By Brian Bennett
    The Courier-Journal

If Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer, then the Louisville Bats are on schedule by playing their hottest baseball of the year.

The Bats shut down Syracuse 5-0 yesterday at Louisville Slugger Field to complete their first four-game series sweep since June 2003. The four-game winning streak also is their longest of the year, and they've won six of seven overall.

Perfect timing, too, because today the Bats will begin a stretch of four straight against Indianapolis, which was tied for first in the International League West Division heading into last night.

"This series will really show where we're at right now," outfielder Kenny Kelly said. "It's key going to play them on this streak we're on, because a lot of guys have their confidence back."

The Bats earned their second shutout in four days and got a boost from the returns of Jared Fernandez and William Bergolla.

Fernandez hadn't pitched since May 3, when he injured his left Achilles' tendon covering first base. He'd been able to throw on the side but couldn't field his position. That time off allowed him to work on his knuckleball and with his personal catcher, Steve Lomasney.

"We'd talk every day and go out to dinner afterwards and talk pitching," Fernandez said. "We had knuckleballs coming out of our ears."

The studious approach worked, as Fernandez held the SkyChiefs to three hits in 6 2/3 innings. Fernandez retired the side in order in four of those innings.

Bergolla was sent down by the Cincinnati Reds after Saturday night's game and eagerly arrived in Louisville yesterday morning.

"He walked in and gave me a big smile and a hug," manager Rick Sweet said. "I told him I was sorry he had to come back down, but he said, 'Nah, I need to play every day.' "

The 22-year-old second baseman, who hit .147 in limited duty for the Reds, moved back into the No. 2 spot in the Bats' order and had two hits, including an RBI single. He's hitting .306 with Louisville this season.

Kelly also continued his scorching ways. He scored three runs, including a solo home run in the sixth, and has hit safely in 26 of his past 28 games. Kelly is batting .395 during that span.

Those numbers seem better to Kelly now that his team has started to get hot as well.

"Sometimes teams just go into slumps," he said. "It even happened to the Yankees this year. I think we went into kind of a funk and started panicking. Now we're starting to settle down and play good baseball."

Notes

Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena will begin a rehabilitation assignment with the Bats today in Indianapolis and play five innings. He has been on the disabled list since May 9 with a strained quadriceps. The Reds are unsure how long he will play for Louisville.

Pitcher Ben Weber also will join the Bats to work his way back from a neck injury. Weber is scheduled to throw a simulated game today and work about an inning Wednesday when the Bats return to Louisville Slugger Field.

Jeriome Robertson (2-5, 7.21 ERA) will start for Louisville at Indianapolis tonight against fellow left-hander Cory Stewart (3-4, 4.30).

AA ERA
    Chattanooga lost today 4-2

Box score

Hopper went 3-5 and swiped his 13 base of the season
    DJ 0-3 with 2 K and a walk
    Caraccioli got a no decision going 6 inn, 2 hits, 1 run, 3 BB, 8 K

AA ERA
    Dayton lost today 8-3

Box score

Janish went 1-3 with double and a RBI
    Gentry went 2-3 also with double and RBI

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Great to see Bergolla knows what he needs! Early signs of maturity.

AA ERA
    Louisville won today 5-1

Box score

EdE went 1-4 with a double and 3 RBI(he also had an error his 14th of the year. But to his credit he has cut those down since May has begun.)
    Kelly and Bergolla went 1-4 with a run. Bergolla had a RBI
    Wily Mo went 0-2 with 2 K(I bet he will be down there for a while, or at least until he tears it up)
    Robertson had a good start going 5.1 inn, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 4 K

AA ERA
    Sarasota was postponed today due to rain. It was called in the 3rd which is unfortunate b/c Votto hit his 8th homer of the year.

MLB ERA
    O'Brien is probably cheering because Pena had 2 K.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Not good to see that from MO. He usually does struggle until he gets some ABs in, so he should get it back together within a week I'd say.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We also have to remember that he has excelled due to not only his talent but the guidance of Chambliss. Supposedly he works the most with him of the team. He might just need Chambliss to tweak what's wrong.

Anyway, I just love to see the doubles being racked up by Ed E.

AA ERA
    Bees rally to sting Dragons

By the Dayton Daily News

BURLINGTON, IOWA | The Dayton Dragons jumped out to a 3-0 lead, but couldn't hold it, falling to the Burlington Bees 8-3 on Monday.

First-round draft choice Homer Bailey took a 3-1 lead into the third inning, but gave up five runs, including a three-run home run by former Reds farmhand Alan Moye.

Bailey's two innings of work matched his shortest of the season and his five runs allowed (four earned) tied a season high. The right-hander struck out three, walked two, was called for two balks and threw a wild pitch.

All of Dayton's runs came in the top of the second. John Purdom picked up a one out single and scored on a Cody Strait RBI double to left. Phil Gentry added a sacrifice fly and Mayker Sandoval scored on a Paul Janish double.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man, Bailey with a set back. I guess we should expect that from time to time. Hopefully he gets it back soon.

AA ERA
    Louisville got whipped 15-1

Box score

EdE 0-3 with a K
    Wily Mo 0-2 with a walk and 2 K
    Bergolla went 2-4 and Denorfia went 1-1 and scored the Bats only run.
    Im not going to post the horrible pitching lines.

AA ERA
    Chattanooga lost 6-5

Box score

Hopper went 2-6 with a double and 2 runs
    DJ went 3-5 with a RBI, walk and a run
    Andrew got the loss pitching 1.2 inn, 2 hits, 1 run, 2 BB, 5 K

AA ERA
    Sarasota was off, Dayton won 4-3

Box score

Janish went 1-4 with a RBI and K
    Piepkorn had another fine game going 2-4 with a double, solo HR, 2 runs and a BB
    Hendley won making him 5-0. He pitched 2 inn and had 0 across the board.

MLB ERA
    Hows DJ handling hte field part of the conversion from 2b to SS?

He's still a better option than Rich "I got dirt on the Reds FO" Aurilia.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast