Thread: Scott Williamson?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Reds Scott Williamson?

Scott Williamson said yesterday that he wouldn't mind being traded to a team where he could be a closer.

He probably needs to stay healthy for more than a few weeks at a time first, but it sounds like the Cubs are willing to part with him before Opening Day.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

MLB ERA
    Why trade for a closer when what you need is a rotation?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If Williamson was a free agent, I would be more than willing to take a risk on him considering the potential performance he would bring. But given that the Cubs would naturally want something of value in return (be it a prospect or whatever, just guys not like Tony Woemack and Timo Perez), it's just not worth it at this point. We're not going to be winning many ballgames this year, and Williamson is just too big of a risk considering his history for us to deal for when it might push us 5 or 6 games closer to .500.

It would be a totally different story if he was a free agent though obviously.

pretty bleak outlook mission.

i think the cubs would be interested in a fourth outfielder and someone like denorfia might be good/cheap/young enough to get it done. If we're going to send him to AAA we might as well get someone who could close games instead. Whatever his injury risk he's probably worth more than denorfia at AAA. It's tough to trade in the division though.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am still bitter that we didn't pursue him when he was released by the Red Sox. Given that he was one of the few players who actually lived in Cincy (they might still have their home here IIRC), it would of made perfect sense to pursue him at a similar low risk contract, but with O'Brien we obviously didn't use logic in our moves.

It would really depend on their demands and if we could easily (and affordably) sign him to a deal after this season assuming his health is on the up and up (which is hard to believe with Wild Willy at any point given his history.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I don't know if I would trade Denorfia for an injury risk as high as Williamson's is. Then again, he had 23 Ks in 14 IP.

How much money does this guy make? If he isn't too expensive, I would search for a few options. But since he is such an injury risk, I think Denorfia would even be too much. I think the Cubs are already stacked in the OF anyhow. (Pierre, Hairston, Jones, Mabry, Pie, Murton, Pagan.)

MLB ERA
    Just say no to Williamson.

I just don't trust his health or his consistency to be a closer over the long haul.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

i certainly think denorfia is too much to give up. I was mostly being bitter about how i think ST is going to play out, since i think they are going to send him back to AAA. If they aren't going to use him on the major league team, they should trade him and get something for him, and let him become brady clark somewhere else, again.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Willy's arm motion scares me.
    rf28