Thread: What to do about the catcher position for 2006 and beyond?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What to do about the catcher position for 2006 and beyond?

LaRue is on a one year deal and our catcher spects close to MLB level are few and far between. And if they are close, they lack the skills of LaRue. It would of been smart last year to trade for a catcher spect like Huber or whatever, but alas that did not happen. So what would you do?

Resign LaRue to a 2 year deal?
    Trade for a AA/AAA spect who you would hope be ready?
    Or acquire a FA next offseason?

I personally think LaRue is very underrated. He has his flaws true, but overall he can do it on both ends of offense and defense. The preferred option would be to acquire a promising prospect, but I don't know how likely that is.

MLB ERA
    I'd keep LaRue.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Keep LaRue. He's one of the best catchers in the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    LaRue plays all out and really adds a grit to this team not many others could. Like I said, if we can't find a top catching spect, I really hope we keep LaRue. Really reminds you of players from another era.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Keep LaRue especially if he really has a different approach as we have seen at the plate this year.

Peterson and Perez may be decent soon, but give them a few more years to figure it out. Sign LaRue for 2 years.

AA ERA
    I agree keep LaRue and bring up Sardinha to back him up as soon as possible. If LaRue continues to swing the bat like he has than there is no way you let him go. Usually the first month hes lucky to bat .210 and hits well the rest of the year to get the average up. Maybe this year he can bat around .280

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Definitely keep LaRue, get rid of Valentin (I am sure we all agree here), and allow one of our prospects to come up and compete for playing time.

MLB ERA
    Jason LaRue is a decent enough player offensively, with a great arm, but at 31, I can't say he's a guy you don't want to keep more than year-to-year. Sardinha is essentially a younger version of LaRue. With guys like Miguel Perez a few years away (who don't look like stars anyway), the Reds are pretty much stuck at the Brian Schneider/Michael Barrett level unless they can sign someone better, which is doubtful.

AA ERA
    I agree saber, especially since they didnt really attempt to get Matheny this offseason.

MLB ERA
    The Micheal Barrett/Brian Schneider level is higher than the Mike Matheny/Brad Ausmus offensive black hole.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'd take LaRue at what he makes over Matheny at what he makes. I think Matheny is very overrated.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Actually, I'd take LaRue no matter the circumstances.

AA ERA
    I agree with everyone. But I think I explained it wrong. I am saying that since the Reds really didnt go after Matheny, there is no reason to think that they would go after any higher tier cathcers as well. I think LaRue is a good fit. He is good behind the plate but not a negitive at it. I think after having a decent offensive catcher with horrible defense in Taubensee, the Reds like having a balanced catcher. You are going to find anyone upper tier like that this side of Ivan.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh ok, I get what you're saying. And I agree, it's nice to have a pretty balanced player like LaRue, and I would say he is above average for the position in both fielding and batting.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, LaRue doesn't dominate in any one area, but he's solid in all of them.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.