Thread: Milton tries the other side

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Milton tries the other side

Ex-Red Browning offers fellow lefty a suggestion
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

Entitle this one: "The Moving of Eric Milton."

Guest instructor Tom Browning, a left-handed pitcher who knows a thing or four about pitching, watched left-handed Milton throw at the Cincinnati Reds spring training complex and decided to make a suggestion.

Browning saw Milton standing on the third base side of the pitching rubber. Browning pitched with his foot on the first base side of the rubber.

Uncertain about the reception, Browning approached Milton cautiously, but discovered he is ready to stand on his head and whistle Sweet Home Alabama while chewing Saltines if it will help him avoid what happened last year: 8-15 with a 6.47 ERA in 34 starts.

"I tried it out while throwing batting practice Friday," said Milton. "It felt good. I've always had good control, so it didn't throw me off. Billy Connors (former pitching coach) moved me to the third base side when I pitched with the Yankees.

"I throw across my body and he thought it would be easier to get inside on right-handed hitters," said Milton. "With Browning's theory, by moving to the first-base side it is farther to throw to get inside on a right-hander, but the angle is better.

"It seemed like (Friday) they weren't getting very good swings, not seeing pitches inside, so it is encouraging."

Milton plans to stick with it for the time being.

Browning said he sat with Milton before batting practice Friday, "And we tossed things back and forth. I wanted to open him up to a different side to change the angle of his delivery. I told him, 'I don't think you understand how much more effective you can be against right-handers on the first base side."

Browning said the move should make his cut fastball more effective and enable him to more easily jam right-handed hitters. Last year Milton started too many of his pitches over the plate, "And that wasn't good in that baby ballpark (Great American Ball Park) we play in."

Milton gave up 40 home runs, 35 to right-handers, last season and right-handers hit .302 against him.

"He tried it (Friday) and he threw awesome," said Browning. "It even helps him with pitches on the outside part of the plate. I told him, 'You do what you want. If you like it, if it's comfortable, stick with it.' He has enough time and enough pride to make it work."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...26redsweb.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This is very comforting. Any change in Milton's approach could be better off for him and this team. I am encouraged that he is willing to do what it takes to shake the awefulness he was in command of last season. Hopefully Browning will at least shrink the RH hitters ability to crush him next season.

MLB ERA
    Milton's going to improve big time this year, though I really don't think this will have anything to do with it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What kind of kicks and giggles to you have to propose this way of thinking Geki? I hope you are right thats for sure.

MLB ERA
    Sadly I'd be thrilled with an ERA under 5 for him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    The fact that he had a historically bad season last year and was never able to get in a groove after the start. He's not a good pitcher, but he's not nearly as bad as what he put up last year. I'm expecting at least an ERA around 5 this year.