Thread: Notes: Harang likely to start opener

AA ERA

Notes: Harang likely to start opener

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
    SARASOTA, Fla. -- All signs are favorably pointing towards Aaron Harang being the Reds' Opening Day starting pitcher.

Harang was Cincinnati's most consistent starter in 2005, going 11-13 with a 3.83 ERA in 32 starts. He was the lone member of the rotation to surpass 200 innings, working 211 2/3 frames.

Reds manager Jerry Narron declined to make any confirmations, but he certainly hinted about which way he was leaning.

"Aaron Harang definitely deserves a chance at it, but we'll see what happens," Narron said.

Tentatively, Harang's first exhibition start will be March 4 against the Yankees at Tampa. If given the expected four days rest between starts all month, it would put the right-hander perfectly in line to pitch the April 3 regular-season opener against the Cubs at Great American Ball Park.

Keenly aware of Cincinnati's lengthy baseball tradition and the attention the first game usually generates from the fans, Harang was prepared for the assignment.
    click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    And in one of the most obvious moves of the preseason, the Reds decide to make their far-and-away best starter the ace.

Big shock. Good news, though, I love me some Harang.

AA ERA
    Yeah, but the Reds have been known to screw up the opening day starter before. Its seems like this team finally has some direction.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Absolutely the best thing to do with the rotation. Harang has to anchor this staff and get us started in the right direction. I like that guys like McKain can come in here and say something positive about Harang as well. Seems to me that some non Reds fans actually like one of our starters. Comforting to say the least.

MLB ERA
    McKain only likes Harang because Harang is the fattest guy on our staff.

MLB ERA
    I didn't even know Harang was fat.

Or large.

That makes me like him more. Anyway, I've been a fan of his since he was in the A's minors, where I'm sure he was angry that he was about 32nd on the depth chart behind all their rdiculous prospects.