Thread: Reds Notes: Griffey finally sees the light

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Griffey finally sees the light

Griffey finally sees the light

By Doug Harris

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Ken Griffey Jr. has been resistant to wearing a set of sun-shielding contact lenses designed by Nike. But an extended slump and a feeble at-bat Saturday forced him to alter his thinking.

After grounding out weakly to first, Griffey played another half-inning in the field and then dashed into the locker room to pop in orange-tinted lenses he had tested in batting practice only a couple of times before.

He then broke out of a 3-for-23 funk with a pair of doubles and a walk in his final three plate appearances, raising his average 40 points to .281.

"I've never been comfortable in glasses," he said. "These, I don't have any problems with.

"It's just a different feel. You're not squinting. Your eyes are more relaxed."

Griffey said the contacts not only dim the glare of the sun but accentuate anything colored red.

How does that help?

"You can pick up the stitches of the baseball," he said.

Dunn displeased

The amiable Adam Dunn was left out of the starting lineup Saturday, and he wasn't happy about it.

Dunn has gone 4-for-28 since hitting two homers on Opening Day. He was 1-for-4 against the Astros on Friday, striking out three times.

Reds manager Dave Miley said the left-fielder was being given a day off because of an injured pinky finger. But Dunn said his digit was fine and thought he was pulled because of his batting slump.

"Days off are awesome, but this is a good, solid benching," said Dunn, who is hitting .188. "Days off are OK. This isn't OK."

Pena puts on BP show

Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena put on a batting-practice exhibition Friday that caused players and fans alike to coo.

The chiseled Pena blasted three shots deep into the second deck in left field, and another belt left the stadium in straight-away center.

"I could hear some of the guys going, 'Oh my gosh,' " Pena said.

He went 2-for-4 while replacing Dunn on Saturday, including a gift double when Houston outfielders Willy Taveras and Chris Burke collided while chasing a soft gapper between them, jarring the ball out of Taveras' glove.

Pena is 6-for-15 in his four starts (.400) with two doubles and a pair of home runs. He's hitting .316 overall.

Ortiz improving

Reds pitcher Ramon Ortiz, who missed his last start with a strained groin, engaged in some strenuous long tossing before the game and then spent about six minutes going through his full repertoire of pitches in the bullpen.

"He said he felt good," Reds trainer Mark Mann said. "We'll evaluate him in the morning and see how he's doing."

Short hops

• The Reds' 12-game losing streak against the Astros was the sixth-longest slide against any opponent in club history.

The all-time Cincinnati record for consecutive losses to a single team is 20 against the Pirates in 1937-38.

• Sean Casey had his fourth multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4. He had at least two hits in 57 games last year, the fifth-best total in the NL.

• The Reds went into Saturday's game with the second-worst ERA in the majors at 5.14, just off last year's franchise-record pace of 5.19.

• The first 15,000 fans age 16 and under who attend today's 1:15 p.m. game with the Astros will receive a baseball card sample pack.

• Miami University football coach Shane Montgomery will throw out the ceremonial first pitch when the Reds host the Cubs at 7:10 p.m. Tuesday.

Contact Doug Harris at 225-2125.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Interesting tidbit about Griffey with the glasses, could this had been what he needed all along? Or is it just coincidence?

Great to hear about Ortiz, I am anxious to see him pitch again. He looked pretty impressive in his 5 innings of work versus the Stros last week. And going against the Rocket has to effect you a bit mentally.

MLB ERA
    It is very interesting regarding Griff. It certainly couldbe a coincidence, but that seems awfully odd that he started hitting as SOON as he put those glasses on.

As for Ortiz, I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch again. His attitude has been great since he's been with the team.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    i watched some of pena's BP at the stros game, he broke the scoreboard in LF, he put a couple dents in the wall, about killed graves, and like half the other pitching staff trying to play outfield.

it was pretty funny.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    i watched some of pena's BP at the stros game, he broke the scoreboard in LF, he put a couple dents in the wall, about killed graves, and like half the other pitching staff trying to play outfield.

it was pretty funny.
    was that why the scoreboad was flickering for the early part of the game yesterday, so you are telling me that was where he hit the ball??? or what

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    was that why the scoreboad was flickering for the early part of the game yesterday, so you are telling me that was where he hit the ball??? or what
    no i was down in houston last weekend, watched the saturday night and sunday afternoon games
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I heard one of the broadcasters talking about some red contacts that Griffey had been trying out during BP. Sounds like he came up with an awesome idea. See the ball, hit the ball. Griffey can now see it better, and should hit it better too.

Dunn pissed to sit. I really think he should understand why. But at the same time Miley should be a man and tell him the reason why as well. Now you got a guy pissed at you, where you were afraid to piss him off by telling him the truth. Miley, you just made it worse. Hopefully comes out swinging and has us all ready for him to be magnificent.

I can't wait to see Pena in BP this year at Coors field!

AAA ERA
    i say he should wear the glasses every day now.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Wily Mo Batting Practice Extraordinaire

Pena in BP is just awesome. And in Coors.... wow, that will be something special to see.