Thread: Castellini Says He Approved Casey Trade

Reds Chick Baseblogger Red Hot Mama's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Castellini Says He Approved Casey Trade

In my never-ending quest for attention, I'm quoting myself:
    http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=355_0_1_0_C

I was watching the Reds Week programming on FSN Ohio tonight. During an interview with George Grande, Reds CEO Bob Castellini acknolwedged that he was consulted before the Casey trade went through and that he concurred with the decision.

Castellini said that "baseball reasons" were the impetus for the decision and that monetary concerns are a part of the baseball reasons. He said you have to spend something of value to get pitching and recounted a heartwarming tale of a neighborhood scamp giving his daughter grief over the deal.

I always figured that a trade of that magnitude wouldn't go down with at least a consultation with the probable new owner, but I didn't think he'd say anything about it for a while. Then if Dave Williams sucked, it would be easy enough to fall back on the It-Happened-Before-I-Was-Here excuse; alternately, Castellini could always claim some of the credit later if Williams rocked.

But, of course, Mr. Castellini doesn't seem to be the type to shirk the responsibility. Good for him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    That is good news. I like that he is ready to be responsible for his actions. I just hope that he does not expect anything more out of Dave Williams than I do.

Castellini is smart enough to know first basemans who only drive in 56 rbi's a year in a hitters park on top of making 8.5M isn't a good thing.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    Castellini is smart enough to know first basemans who only drive in 56 rbi's a year in a hitters park on top of making 8.5M isn't a good thing.
    Good point, Cincy. Its good to have a "baseball" owner that can make the best decisions for the team, not just financially.

MLB ERA
    Hey all thats important is Casey was overpaid and not worth it...Williams is a nice addition.