Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds scraping the bottom of the barrel for another starter?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Reds Reds scraping the bottom of the barrel for another starter?

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....602200333/1027

"We're still looking for a starting pitcher to add to the mix," general manager Wayne Krivsky said Sunday.

Only a handful of free agents remain unsigned, but one pitcher still out there, right-hander Pedro Astacio, intrigues the Reds. Two people familiar with the situation said the Reds have shown an interest in the 36-year-old, who has a 4.61 ERA in 14 major league seasons. Considering the timing, Cincinnati could very well be Astacio's best option if the two parties can agree on a price.
    and

If Astacio or another free agent (Ismael Valdez and Kirk Rueter also remain available) aren't the answer, the Reds will look internally for at least a short-term fix.

They already have penciled in their first four starters: Aaron Harang, Brandon Claussen, Eric Milton and Dave Williams. But even if Wilson is healthy and ready to go, the Reds know they'll need at least a few more starting pitchers to get them through the season. Every team does.

Among those already in camp and being prepared as starters, it appears left-hander Michael Gosling and right-hander Justin Germano are best positioned to make a run for a rotation spot.

AAA ERA
    I'm starting to get nervous about Wayne. No particular reason.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

MLB ERA
    Dan O'Krivsky.

AAA ERA
    Stop It! Ahhh!
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

What a waste this would be. When has Astacio pitched a whole season since the beginning of the century? He's on the wrong side of 30, and from injuries and plain bad pitching, hasn't been able to keep a job. If the Reds think he'll make any sort of difference, they have to be kidding themselves.

Reds Chick Baseblogger Red Hot Mama's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    It's like buying a bunch of raffle tickets. The chances aren't great for any one of them, but maybe if you buy enough you'll get lucky.

It's not as if Astacio would be displacing some great young hope, and it's not as if the Reds need to save up their money for something else. They can give him $2 million for a year and not cry if he doesn't work out.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I like how you put that RHM. If that is the case, I don't hate their thinking. But as everyone else said, Astacio should not be looked at as someone who could make a difference for this team.

Krivsky has to realize that his first few moves are going to have to be something of immediate value or else the fans are going o not like it or him. We will start making a list of his biggest boneheaded moves. I am not the typical fan looking for immediate value, but I am one that expects there to be upside to every move. This one looks like a complete take a chance move and may not be too bad as long as it is not an expensive chance.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HafDawg2003
    I'm starting to get nervous about Wayne. No particular reason.
    I like Red Hot Mama's description cause Krivsky was put a little behind the 8 ball for this year.

1) He was hired so late in the offseason to where he didnt have a chance to go after anyone of merit that could "make an impact now".

2) Dan O'Brien did nothing to help this team besides corner the market on sorry utility players with his biggest acquistion being resigning Rich Aurilia.

3) He's just trying to find some guys that we can just run out there every 5th day (when there is no offday). And you never know when youll find the guy who becomes the "hot rentail of the year" like when we had Jose Guillen and turn him into another Aaron Harang.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    you know what I find funny?

Just yesterday there was a rumor about getting a "difference maker" from the AL West in a trade...turns out it was the total opposite from the NL West

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Exactly Providence. This guy is a sure thing. A non difference maker as he sits right now. But again, a cheap pick up and I don't hate this move. Maybe he will be the next Harang. Very doubtful, but maybe.

MLB ERA
    I don't know what everyone is expecting Krivsky to have done so far.

He added some backups and the like to compete for bench jobs and to be there as insurance in case an outfielder is traded and he is looking for SP depth. It's not like he's saying he thinks Astacio would be a savior. He is in the mix with some other questionable pitchers.

It's not like Krivsky has spent mountains of money on adding players who are preventing us from signing good FA, as the best ones are gone anyway.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Look at Astacio's numbers everywhere except the pitcher's haven known as Petco. 6.04 in Texas, 10.38 in Boston, 7.36 and 4.79 in New York. He managed a decent year in Houston over 28 innings, but had 4 straight years with ERAs over 5 before that. Expecting an ERA under 5 from Astacio is stupid, and anything over that makes him a negative signing.

MLB ERA
    I don't find competition negative.. We are talking about him possibly competing with a potentially not totally heallthy Paul Wilson at most.

He well might not start for us at all.

At least maybe some players will feel more pressure this year than in the past. Unlike under O'Brien, I don't think Krivsky is set on giving a certain player a spot before they actually earn it. He just wants competition.

I think a small investment in him would be harmless, as long as it is a very small amount of money he would be making.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    We've had competition in the past. Remember how that turned out? I believe it had something to do with Rich Aurilia as a starting shortstop.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, during Dan O'Brien's tenure as GM.

This is a new era, folks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast