Thread: rotation spots

rotation spots

there was some discussion here somewhere about what makes a staff ace, a #2, a #5 etc starter. someone over at redlegnation.com did a sort of confusing/sort of interestind analysis of this very same topic. He took the approach of defining the slots by averages, which i know not everyone aggrees with. Check it out if you're interested, here's what came out of it:

The breakdown was by ERA and split by league.

AL #1 SP < = 3.61
    AL #2 SP 3.62 - 4.06
    AL #3 SP 4.07 - 4.57
    AL #4 SP 4.58 - 5.78
    AL #5 SP >= 5.79

NL #1 SP < = 3.50
    NL #2 SP 3.51 - 4.05
    NL #3 SP 4.06 - 4.48
    NL #4 SP 4.49 - 5.09
    NL #5 SP >= 5.10

here's how the reds break down:

NL #2
    AHarang 3.83

NL #3
    BClaussen 4.21
    DWilliams 4.41

NL #5
    MBelisle (as a starter) 5.25
    EMilton 6.47
    LHudson 7.20
    PWilson 7.77
    ERamirez 9.31

My feeling is that you can define the #2-#5 spots, but that it doesn't work as well for the "ace" idea. An average #1 starter maybe, but not an "ace." not everyone who put's up an ERA below3.61 is an ace in my mind, but that's for another discussion.

I generally agree with the reds breakdown. harang is a solid #2, claussen and williams are pretty solid #3s. If we can pick up another #2 through a trade, and got some bounce back from milton or wilson to #3 or at least #4 form, we'd have a competent rotation.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    good stuff Wally Mo. I have never seen it broken down quite like this but I have to agree with it. It is comforting to know just how good Harang is through these standards. I hope Claussen and williams can keep it up and possibly improve to a number 2 type pitcher as well. We definitely need a number 1 type or at least another solid number 2 like Harang. makes the LaRue talk sound more profitable. But I doubt DanO has a chart like this and would go off of something as useful as stats when he selects his pitcher to go after in a trade.

I really like this though Wally, thanks man.

MLB ERA
    I can't say I agree with how this was done. How many AL starting pitchers had ERAs of over 5.79, honestly?

by my count 42 AL starters had ERAs that high and made at least one start. Like i said, i was little confused by the way he described his methods, so i can't really attest for it.

obviously, with no upper limit on the ERA of the fifth starter you get into some shady territory. You can't really say that someone with a 10 ERA is a 5th starter, they're a minor leaguer. But that's not how he did it. I think the way he approached the fifth starter was just anyone who made starts and didn't get into the #4 class was a "#5."
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I can't say I agree with how that works. Guys making a spot start shouldn't count as a team's fifth starter, plain and simple.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    there was some discussion here somewhere about what makes a staff ace, a #2, a #5 etc starter. someone over at redlegnation.com did a sort of confusing/sort of interestind analysis of this very same topic. He took the approach of defining the slots by averages, which i know not everyone aggrees with. Check it out if you're interested, here's what came out of it:

The breakdown was by ERA and split by league.

AL #1 SP < = 3.61
    AL #2 SP 3.62 - 4.06
    AL #3 SP 4.07 - 4.57
    AL #4 SP 4.58 - 5.78
    AL #5 SP >= 5.79

NL #1 SP < = 3.50
    NL #2 SP 3.51 - 4.05
    NL #3 SP 4.06 - 4.48
    NL #4 SP 4.49 - 5.09
    NL #5 SP >= 5.10

here's how the reds break down:

NL #2
    AHarang 3.83

NL #3
    BClaussen 4.21
    DWilliams 4.41

NL #5
    MBelisle (as a starter) 5.25
    EMilton 6.47
    LHudson 7.20
    PWilson 7.77
    ERamirez 9.31

My feeling is that you can define the #2-#5 spots, but that it doesn't work as well for the "ace" idea. An average #1 starter maybe, but not an "ace." not everyone who put's up an ERA below3.61 is an ace in my mind, but that's for another discussion.

I generally agree with the reds breakdown. harang is a solid #2, claussen and williams are pretty solid #3s. If we can pick up another #2 through a trade, and got some bounce back from milton or wilson to #3 or at least #4 form, we'd have a competent rotation.
    I don't think you can segregate a pitcher based on his era, there are so many more things to consider, you can actually have a number 1 starter with an era close to 5.00 and a number 5 with an era close to 3.00, it is a difficult thing to determine but in my opinion the most important situation to consider is how your starter performs when the team needs a win. And that can include days following a loss. Mario Soto, Pete Harnisch and Jose Rijo came thru big, in big games. Some might have considered Denny Neagle a number 1, but in my opinion he dropped down one slot because of this factor.