MLB ERA

Your Reds Infield

1B Adam Dunn-Age 26
    .247/.387/.540 in 671 PA
    Home: .274/.418/.639 in 263 AB
    Away: . 221/.359/.446 in 280 AB
    Vs. RHP: .273/.421/.580 in 355 AB
    Vs. LHP: .197/.321/.463 in 188 AB

I called that the Reds should trade Casey and move Dunn to first. Okay, what you are looking at is the white David Ortiz, with two key differences. First, Dunn can play the field without costing his team a win a year with the glove. Second, Dunn is in his prime, with several more years of productivity to be expected. What’s wrong with that? Not a damn thing. Find a lefty-mashing first baseman to spell him against some lefties, and you’ll have Albert Pujols at a much smaller price. He’ll also stop breaking his own K record, so you can stop *****ing about it.

2B Ryan Freel-Age 29
    .271/.368/.371 in 432 PA

Gets on base, can steal a bag, and has zero power. At his price, many teams (Yankees) would kill for that. His versatility may not be as well utilized when he’s a starter, but a smart manager might envision a lineup where an Aurilia would get the platoon advantage on the infield while Freel bounces around to spell guys all around the diamond. It’s a nice option to have, even if he won’t bop.

SS Felipe Lopez-Age 25
    .291/.350/.486 in 648 PA

Yeah, I didn’t see that either. Like Griffey, batting average drove a lot of the improvement, but the net gains he made are real. He may not be as valuable in 2006, but he’ll be pretty damn nifty. The best shortstop in the NL? Yeah.

Note that he flails against lefties. That switch-batting thing may not be best. Think of Aurilia running around to cover your ass here.

3B Edwin Encarnacion-Age 22
    .232/.308/.436 in 234 PA

Like Kearns, everything but the average was there. Unlike Kearns, this one may stay upright. The average will come, and he’ll look like he made big improvements, even though his game hasn’t necessarily changed. You guys are smart to treat him as untouchable. He’s not David Wright, but he’s the, uh, third best thing. (Yeah, Andy Marte. I said it.)

IF Rich Aurilia-Age 34
    .282/.338/.444 in 468 PA

I never thought Rich was a bad player. I thought paying him for multiple years to start was pointless. His huge home-road splits might also be a concern. As a spear-carrying infield reserve, he’s pretty damn nice if you don’t overpay. While other teams may throw away plate appearances on a Niefi Perez-type, or even, God forbid, on Neifi Perez, the Reds can field someone who isn’t historically bad when the infield gets tired. Inshallah, he’s he team’s 5th infielder. Unless, of course.....

UT Tony Womack- Jesus
    ****ing

Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    bastard, why didn't you cover the outfield backup(s) as well.

Nice info, though, as always.

MLB ERA
    What outfield backups?

Jacob Cruz?
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    I demand more information and analysis about Jacob Cruz.

I think he could be a big player for the team; I think you're racist against him. What do you say about that, huh, pal?

Good info and seems to be a good IF for starting the year.... just need someone in the middle to not allow so many HRs.

Do the Braves, Saber.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good report on the infield as well saber. I am definitely excited about the young nucleus of this team. We were hyped about the outfield more than the infield last season. But Felo and EdE along with the new addition of Dunn at 1B make it a lot more interesting in the infield. I am excited to see this team grow.

AA ERA
    Another guy to look out for is Ray Olmedo. Apparently he is all healed from the Tommy John Surgery. in 148 At Bat's he is hitting .365 AVG/.662 SLG%/8 HR's. Now i really like his defensive abilities and if you can add in this kind of hitting i would not mind benching Freel/Womack and start Olmedo at 2B.

MLB ERA
    Olmedo will hit about half that against major league pitching.

olmedo killed when he first came up lst year, he just got tired is what the doctors said, he rushed back from surgery.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Olmedo will never be a good enough hitter to be a major league starter. He's got no eye and he doesn't make all that much contact, which ruins him as a leadoff man. I think he can be valuable off the bench as a defensive replacement, pinch runner, or even as a bunter, but he shouldn't be starting anywhere.

In 16 games in July he hit .381 .391 .619 1.010. Now that's certainly a bit of a hot streak, but i think his drop off last year was mostly due to the fact that he had tommy john surgery not to long ago, and was still recovering. It takes pitchers 2 years to come back from that, and while it's easier for position players, to think that he could come back at full strength in 6 or 7 months is asking too much.

i like him more than Bergolla, not that that is saying all that much.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I think that the fact that Olmedo has never really shown an ability to hit at any level means more than 15 or 20 at-bats that he had last year.

MLB ERA
    The TJ surgery likely wasn't a significant factor. 6 or 7 months isn't a long time for a position player to recover from Tommy John. Curious, but true.