Thread: Your Reds Outfield

MLB ERA

Your Reds Outfield

CF Ken Griffey Jr.-Age 36
    .301/.369/.576 in 555 PA

He finally had the one great, fairly healthy year that you wanted. It was a year driven in large part by his batting average. I woudn't count on it sticking that high, but he'll still be good when he plays. You won't trade that contract. The Yankees are the only team that would take it on, and that isn't happening. The way the Giants treated Ellis Burks should be the model of what should be done for Griffey. That means aggressive substitutions and not having him play too many back to back games. Try to run him out there every day, and he'll get run into the ground. You all know this, but the way he's used in-game has to be more assertive.

OF Austin Kearns- Age 25
    .240/.333/.452 in 448 PA

The walks are there, if a little less than before, the sweet .200 ISO is there, but the batting average hasn't been there since his rookie year in 2002. Keep him healthy, and hope for an average over .265. That rookie year may have set our sights too high, but a this can be a pretty good player for the next few years that the Reds get him below market value.

OF Wily Modesto Pena- Age 23
    .254/.304/.492 in 448 PA

I pegged the Sosa clone before the year started. Big power, no patience, and lots of strikeouts. Wanna know another good comparison? Alfonso Soriano without the hype or speed. That's not a good thing. He was bad when he was away and when he was facing a righty. Trade him now. He was brought to the majors too quickly because of the major league contract he signed when he was drafted, and when (if) he figures out plate discipline, he'll cost you way too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well done saber. + rep. I like how you let us know what you think we should do with these guys and I can't say I disagree. I would love to keep Wally, but like you said, if he figures it all out, he will be mad expensive soon. Then again, it would be nice to have him for that one season that he does have it figured out. Good post man.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.-Age 36
    .301/.369/.576 in 555 PA

He finally had the one great, fairly healthy year that you wanted. It was a year driven in large part by his batting average. I woudn't count on it sticking that high, but he'll still be good when he plays. You won't trade that contract. The Yankees are the only team that would take it on, and that isn't happening. The way the Giants treated Ellis Burks should be the model of what should be done for Griffey. That means aggressive substitutions and not having him play too many back to back games. Try to run him out there every day, and he'll get run into the ground. You all know this, but the way he's used in-game has to be more assertive.
    I am really hoping that they can convinve him that CF is no longer his position. We know he has instincts but his range is lacking to say the least and hopefully the Reds realize this. I do agree on the plan with Griffey for the most part. And with guys like Chris Denorfia and Ryan Freel, hopefully the Reds won't be affraid to sit Jr. every once and awhile or at least pull him late in the game when he's not needed.

Nice post Saber.

MLB ERA
    A corner outfield spot might not necessarily help Griffey's health. While it gives him a smaller range to cover, and presumably lessens the dives he would be inclined to make, you also have the risk of straining something while pulling up from a play, or him running into a wall. It would reduce the chances he has to deal with, though. A defensive 5th OF would have a lot of value here.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That is true. And with a corner outfield spot there is a lot more running and stopping (for the wall and such) which strains the hamstrings. Which I believe was one of Griff's concerns with moving there in the past.