Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boras or Trade?

AA ERA
    Reports: Vazquez traded to White Sox.

MLB ERA
    Considering the reported cost, that's probably a good thing for Cincy.

Vazquez has homer issues, which were bad for the BOB, will be bad in New Comiskey, and would have been bad in whatever the hell the Reds play in.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

From Lancaster:

"don't expect the Reds to jump in on the Scott Boras free-agent starters sweepstakes (Millwood, Washburn, Weaver). There's no way the cost-benefit ratio there would turn out in their favor, and they're staying out of it. That said, I'm still pretty sure they're not done adding pitching."

so it looks, as we thought, like it will be a trade.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hmmm... looks that way for sure. And now LaRue is the highest priority. I wonder if DanO is against trading another outfielder now?

MLB ERA
    Don't be stunned by a FA signing too, despite Lancaster's reports.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I have reason to believe it could.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If we're going to overpay, let's do it for Millwood. Weaver and Washburn wouldn't look pretty with their G/F ratios in GAB (although Millwood over his career hasn't posted a ratio like he did last year so that's a concern as well.) I just hope that this money isn't a hole being burned into Dan O's pocket and he's going to spend it on anyone with a sign around their neck that says "Will pitch for millions."

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Millwood would be my choice too. If it's true that the Mariners have offered $44M for four years why hasn't he jumped on it? I think thats a great offer. Boras could be using that as a bargaining tool? But I think Millwood doesn't want to go to Seattle. Last summer I was reading a Cleveland board and some Tribe fans were discussing re-signing Millwood. One poster said he recalled an interview in which Millwood said he didn't like coastal cities. Then went on to say he liked Cleveland. It was a nice size city, not too large.( guess he didn't like Philly) Of course the Reds would have to offer something close to the Seattle offer; would take some creative incentives. Don't know if DanO is clever enough to do a deal like that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    good thoughts here Max. Makes more sense for him to come to Cincy. I wish, but I read something today about DanO not wanting anyone else who is a FA. That his target will be in a trade. I think this Milwood thinking is out.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    But the plot thickens. CBSsportsline.com is reporting that the Mariners are close to signing Jarrod Washburn to a four year 36 to 38 million dollar contract. It said this would take them out of the Kevin Millwood race. Also said they would probably non-tender Gil Meche. Someone posted awhile back, on another board, if the Reds could play it cool till about the end of January they just might have a shot at Millwood.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...416/1071/SPT04

A lot was revealed Saturday about the free-agent market for starting pitching and why the Reds probably won't be getting involved in it. The Associated Press reported the Seattle Mariners and left-hander Jarrod Washburn are closing in on a deal. The reported terms: four years, $35 million to $40 million.

Washburn was 8-8 for a Los Angeles Angels club that won 95 games this past season.

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said the Reds weren't involved in talks with Washburn or the other two premier starters left on the market, Kevin Millwood and Jeff Weaver.

All three of the pitchers are represented by agent Scott Boras.

Though the Reds are in dire need of a pitching upgrade, it's wise to avoid giving four-year deals worth enough to fund an urban-renewal project.

Washburn missed time this year with a sore elbow. He has been on the disabled list six times in his career.

Millwood pitched on a one-year contract this past season because no team would risk a multiyear deal because of concerns about his health.

Weaver has been healthy his whole career, but he has a 78-87 record and a 4.44 ERA. Those numbers don't scream "Ace!"

O'Brien has ruled out signing any free agent who would not be a significant upgrade to the rotation.

Because that list begins with Millwood and ends with Weaver, signing a starter is unlikely.

Again, the typical Reds fan is all for spending owner-to-be Robert Castellini's money. But it has to be spent wisely. Signing Matt Morris for $25 million would have been a good investment. Signing Jarrod Washburn for $40 million seems to be a mighty big risk - one that could set the franchise back if Washburn doesn't pitch better than he has historically. He's 29-31 over the past three seasons.

O'Brien said the club is talking to a pitcher whom the Reds see in a swing role.

"It's someone we could use in a starting role and have pitch in relief as well," O'Brien said. "I'd rather not say who, because we're in the preliminary stages."

There is still hope that the Reds will upgrade the rotation.

"We're still having trade talks," O'Brien said. "It's been a fairly busy week."

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    So DanO is talking to a "swing man". On that other board someone checked who started and relieved last year and the list was pretty short.Wilson Alvarez and Cal Eldred. Flip a coin! Wait a minute, Eldred has red in his name. Is that an omen?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12