Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While other teams work on trades, O'Brien works on offering Aurilia arbitration

MLB ERA

While other teams work on trades, O'Brien works on offering Aurilia arbitration

DALLAS -- The Reds extended their negotiating window with free agent infielder Rich Aurilia on Wednesday night by offering him arbitration before a midnight ET deadline.
    Aurilia batted .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBIs in 114 games during 2005. He has until Dec. 19 to accept the arbitration offer to guarantee his return in 2006. If he declines, Cincinnati would have until a Jan. 8 deadline to re-sign him or lose the ability to sign him again until May 1.

The 34-year-old Aurilia stands to receive a sizeable raise after earning $600,000 in 2005. He was originally signed to a Minor League contract in January and made the team out of Spring Training. A $2 million mutual option for next season was not picked up by either side, which made the 10-year Major League veteran a free agent.

Aurilia opened the season at shortstop but struggled offensively early on. He lost his starting spot after going on the disabled list May 11 with a strained left hamstring. While Felipe Lopez became an All-Star shortstop, Aurilia was shifted to second and third base.

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien spent much of Wednesday morning meeting with Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, and manager Jerry Narron.

If Aurilia returns, he likely would be Cincinnati's starting second baseman. That would mean Ryan Freel would remain in his utility player role. The club would not comment on its plans for Aurilia next season.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    If Aurilia returns, he likely would be Cincinnati's starting second baseman. That would mean Ryan Freel would remain in his utility player role. The club would not comment on its plans for Aurilia next season.
    Just shoot me now, somebody.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Reds are like that guy you know who always orders the same thing at any restaurant. They're too timid to risk trying anything else and they figure that getting the same thing time and time again just makes things simpler. And when I say the Reds, I mean Dan O'Brien, he's just got a love affair with some players that he doesn't want to stop.

Again, I don't know why everyone is down on him.

I don't care if he has a big mouth, 14 homers and 68 rbi's in 114 game isn't too bad. And I really don't think Ryan Freel is an everyday player, he's just a super bench player IMO.

MLB ERA
    Aurilia didn't have very great numbers last year. He's not an everyday player and his numbers will be worse if he plays everyday. He also struggles away from GABP.

Freel puts up good numbers, on the other hand.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

What?

If Ryan Freel is an everyday player his numbers will go down even more than Aurilia's for sure. Second of all, he really isn't a 2b man. He's an outfielder... They're two very different players, but I just see Freel being more valuable off the bench.

MLB ERA
    Freel has already in essence played everday while moving from position to position. Aurilia was terrible on the road and often goes through extended slumps where he does nothing. Freel can walk even when he's slumping.

But he can't pop a 3 run homer when the team really needs it....

MLB ERA
    Freel gets on base more than Aurilia. It's not about popping a three-run homer. It's about a player's overall contributions. Aurilia simply isn't that good and will likely regress even from last year's numbers.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    Again, I don't know why everyone is down on him.

I don't care if he has a big mouth, 14 homers and 68 rbi's in 114 game isn't too bad. And I really don't think Ryan Freel is an everyday player, he's just a super bench player IMO.
    Do you really want me to look back and find what he did against individual teams and show just how much he feasted on AAA pitching and feasted on certain stadiums?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    The Reds are like that guy you know who always orders the same thing at any restaurant. They're too timid to risk trying anything else and they figure that getting the same thing time and time again just makes things simpler. And when I say the Reds, I mean Dan O'Brien, he's just got a love affair with some players that he doesn't want to stop.
    Er, ok when I said that I meant ordering some chicken strips instead of a hamburger. Not ordering a scoopful of vomit instead of a hamburger.

As much as I dislike Aurilia, he at least brings some value to the team. Womack brings a negative value.

OK, I'll be blunt. If you guys are going to waste Ryan Freel like this, trade him to Boston. We need an everyday shortstop and Freel would look really good in Red Sox red. In fact, we'll give you Alex Cora for him. Cora? Cora?

A Youkilis-Loretta-Freel-Marte IF with Pedroia coming in to start in 2007 would look mighty nice.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Freel is getting the shaft for sure. I really feel for him. He just can't win a MLB job.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Do you really want me to look back and find what he did against individual teams and show just how much he feasted on AAA pitching and feasted on certain stadiums?
    1) we didn't beat the rockies and other "AAA" teams every time we played them so hitting against them is good.
    2) he had clutch hits in those wins against bad teams, it's not like they were blowouts
    3) the sample size is so small that any trend like that has very little significance

the bottom line is that aurillia bounced back strong last year and had a huge second half, however you want to look at it.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast