Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey traded to Pirates for Dave Williams

MLB ERA
    Marc Lancaster seems to think the Reds are going to take on some of Casey's salary. If that's true, I'm not liking this deal as much. It might not help with ANY of those above scenarios(trades, FA signings, locking up Dunn, etc.)

Can O'Brien do ANYTHING at all the right way??
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If we're taking on any significant amount of salary.... then this just gets stupid. I am sorry I can't say that more poetically. Ugh.

MLB ERA
    Horrendous trade. Unless we sign Dunn long-term and move him to first while keeping the rest of the outfielders, this trade is disgustingly bad. Williams brings nothing to the table for us, and we're not getting all that much salary relief.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The key to all this is whether or not this deal is neccessary for a LTC to be offered to Dunn. If Dunn is elected to a term as the mayor with no chance of removal... I'll be ok with it. But is anyone else scared that this was a strict salary dump and the Reds are going to do little in terms of post trade impact moves?

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't call it "horrendous" under any circumstance other than us paying for all of Casey's salary. Casey has been below average-average over the last couple of years and Williams has been average as a pitcher. IF we only pay for a very small amount of Casey's contract, I won't be upset, because it would likely help lead us to us locking up Dunn and/or adding a FA starter/trading for one. Also, Williams is still only 26-years old and has put up OK numbers over the last few years.

Here are Williams' numbers from when he entered the league in 2001:

2001: 22 Games Started, 114.0 IP, 100 H, 47 ER, 15 HR, 45 BB, 57 K, 3.71 ERA, .755 OPS against

2002: 9 Games Started, 43.1 IP, 38 H, 24 ER, 9 HR, 24 B, 33 K, 4.99 ERA, .802 OPS against
    (He had surgery after that season)

2004: 6 GS, 39.2 IP, 31 H, 19 ER, 4 HR, 13 BB, 33 K, 4.42 ERA, .674 OPS against

2005: 25 GS, 139.2 IP, 137 H, 68 ER, 20 HR, 58 BB, 88 K, 4.41 ERA, .792 OPS against

He was a lot better on the road least year than at home:

Home OBP/OPS against: .379/.991
    Road OBP/OPS against: .310/.619

He was also a lot better against RH hitters:
    vs. LH: .373 OBP against, .935 OPS against
    vs. RHP: .335 OBP against, .764 OPS against
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am loathing that Red Sox rumor now. I went to sleep last night thinking about how much our lineup would rock with Youk in it (I thought Arroyo was farfetched.) Anyway, those rumors with the Red Sox were the pick-up for the let-down, but that's why they are called rumors I suppose.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Here are my thoughts on this. I don't like Casey for Williams regardless. Yes, it is intriguing to think we could keep al 4 outfielders and may still have money for a pitcher. But I don't like it because we were expecting something better with Arroyo and Youkilis. Is that a no go now?

If so, then this trade looked more interesting until we hear that the Reds will be paying some of Casey's contract. This becomes the ultimate question. How on this earth can DanO see that this benefits the Reds at all? I can't even see how it helps set anything else up. Its horrible and and cannot be true.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Is it a definite now?

MLB ERA
    I'll be surprised if Williams puts up an ERA under 5.00 for the year with the Reds.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Same here Geki. Word is (not offical) that the Reds are picking up 2 mil of Casey's contract. So....

8.5 mil
    - 2 mil (for the deal)
    - 1.4 (Williams contract)
    = A savings of 5.1 mil that doesn't seem nearly as significant as the 8 mil I thought we would be saving if we dealt for Youk. I am betting we sign one of the relievers over 35 to be our closer and MAYBE if we have enough cash bring in a veteran infielder (ala Aurilia) to frustrate the fans and the young players who should be competiting for that job.

Not feeling this one boys.

MLB ERA
    Why was everyone so convinced the BOS deal would go through? There were several rumors that were mentioned other than that one.

I personally don't see Williams having an ERA over five this year.

I still think this deal isn't the end of the moves, BTW.

EDIT: Apparently there is a holdup of some sort in the deal, although that may be that both players have to go through physicals.

I'm happy Casey is gone... Period!

I don't understand why everyone is crying over an overpaid doesn't care about winning first baseman who can't even hit 10 bombs out in a season playing in GAB?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Screw this...

DanO better have a plan or his bags packed.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Why was everyone so convinced the BOS deal would go through? There were several rumors that were mentioned other than that one.
    I wasn't convinved at all, but again, it's the pick-up for the let-down. That rumor way exceeded our expectations and that should of been a sign for everyone. Then again I think this is below our expectations. If we're dumping Casey, 2 mil is way too much to be helping out with considering Williams is not making 300 k no longer.

MLB ERA
    Please Major League Baseball approve the sale of the Reds and Castinelli please put Dan O'Brien out his misery as a GM cause it is abundantly clear he is no where near the level this organization needs. This deal sucks, Casey might have had a bad year BUT HE STILL HIT 300. That alone should merit some value. Plus the fact we are paying part of the contract is beyond ridiculous.

Please Bud, hurry up and pass the sell of the team before its too late.

This move does NOTHING TO IMPROVE the team and takes away a bargaining chip out of the Reds MO for a glorified reliever who will be lucky to beat out Jimmy Anderson and Danny Graves for a spot in the bullpen pitching in GABP.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast