Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey traded to Pirates for Dave Williams

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Redsr: The logical set-up at this point is to put the gold-glove 3B Lowell at third, pray that Youkilis can play first base, then sign someone for a year (Graffanino hopefully) until Dustin Pedroia is ready (fantastic pick by Theo). Do something like (if they don't trade Manny and sign Damon), then they can do something like

Damon
    Renteria
    Ortiz
    Ramirez
    Nixon
    Varitek
    Lowell
    Youkilis
    Graffanino

Casey for Arroyo, on a talent level it's certainly fair. But with them trying to dump Manny's contract, do they want to add another 8.5 million dollars for Arroyo, who will make what? 3 mil or so in arbitration? Arroyo's still young, capable (if not any better than the average pitcher), and he has the right composure for Boston. I don't like trading a 29 year old pitcher who has proven he can pitch in Boston for a slightly older 1B who ranges from average to above-average hitter.

The Sox would improve, but I have to believe for 5.5 million on the market, they could use that.

That makes a lot of sense and the BoSox would be better of with the mentioned 5.5 million on different talent. But what will they do with the surplus of SP they have in the meantime?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I was on a Cubs board earlier today and they thought it was a joke. They heard it was Mitre and a minor leaguer. Some said it was like getting Kearns for free. Don't know how they'd feel if they knew Nolasco was in the deal. Also a lot of them didn't seem too keen on Kearns but at that price, why not take him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats how I feel. Its like giving Kearns away. But Nalasco does make me look at it twice but then it is still a quick turn down after that.

Please Dano, No! If you want to make an impression, this isn't the one you want.

Well, they have at SP

Curt Schilling
    Wade Miller
    Josh Beckett
    David Wells
    Tim Wakefield
    Bronson Arroyo
    Matt Clement

At this point, Curt and Josh are locks. Wells wants to be traded and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to SD in a smaller deal for Roberts and a mid-level prospect or perhaps in a bigger deal for a guy like Loretta if they want to go that way and block Pedroia again. I figure Clement's only possibility outside of starting is a trade, so I'll say he's there. I think Miller's gone through trade or outright release. We're are

Schill, Beckett, Clement, Arroyo, Wakefield.

After this year or depending on how the pen shakes out, Arroyo become expendable for Papelbon to take over in the rotation, and if Schilling retires after 2007, then hopefully Jon Lester will be ready (and by then, Clement's a FA). Wakefield, who knows. I think he has a spot in Boston as long as Mirabelli does.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    God. If we give up Kearns for that pile of crap, I might hunt down O'Brien and kill him myself.

MLB ERA
    RotoWorld make me happy:

Austin Kearns - OF - Reds

Cubs GM Jim Hendry said today that he hasn't had any discussions with the Reds regarding one of the team's outfielders.
    There were radio rumors today about Austin Kearns being offered to the Cubs for Sergio Mitre and another pitcher. This makes it seem as though there were no truth to them. Dec. 5 - 11:16 pm et

MLB ERA
    Perhaps no truth to that particular rumor, but it does seem that there have been discussions about both he and Casey with certain teams.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I'm not totally averse to trading Kearns, but not for anything involving Sergio Mitre.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Rotoworld make me happy too! Good to hear this.

MLB ERA
    Someone said the M's were inquiring about Kearns in Dallas. That'd be nice for us, but I doubt it happens.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Who and where is someone man?

MLB ERA
    Jason Churchill, writes for the Mariners scout site and I believe he is out there in Texas. Wouldn't put much stock in it, he mentioned it in passing after he reported that Jenkins and Wilkerson aren't available right now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Ok great, thanks man. This is likely just one of those things that most teams are jsut mentioning possibilities that they like. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Update on Kearns to the Cubs:

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000, the Austin Kearns trade talk has gotten serious and Jerome Williams, not Sergio Mitre, would be included in the deal.

This new incarnation of the deal seems more equitable. Unlike Mitre, Williams has had success in the Major Leagues in his career. He pitched 106 innings after being dealt to the Cubs for LaTroy Hawkins, posting a 3.91 ERA and 1.35 WHIP. Williams posted a spectacular 2.10 ERA in five September starts.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Williams is a lot better than Mitre. Package him with Nalasco and you feel a lot better. Still, we would be allowing Kearns to go to a team within the division for something that will not blow us away. I am still against this for now. DanO must have better options than this right now.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast