Thread: sooner than later?

sooner than later?

The contract of the Reds' marketing director, Cal Levy, was not renewed.

The decision may be harbinger of changes to come under team owner-to-be Robert Castellini.

Levy thinks that the ownership transaction was behind his departure.

"I think it was primarily the change in ownership," he said. "They're entitled to bring in their own people."

The timing of the move was tied to Levy's contract. The club had to let him know by the end of November if he would be returning for the 2006 season.

"The only reason it happened now was my contract," Levy said.

John Allen, the club's chief operating officer, informed Levy of the decision Tuesday. Allen confirmed that Levy's contract was not renewed but said the Reds are trying to bring back Levy in another capacity.

But the move with Levy may be a sign that Castellini already is calling some shots.

Allen would not comment on that.

"We're operating as usual, forging ahead," Allen said.

Castellini has met with Reds employees from various departments.

The Reds could have retained Levy on a month-to-month basis - he was a contractor, not an employee - and waited for Castellini to be officially in charge before deciding whether to renew Levy's contract.

The move may not bode well for people in the baseball department because Levy has had success marketing the club - even while the Reds have struggled on the field.

The signage and marketing revenue from Great American Ball Park was $8.6 million last season, compared to $7 million in 2004 and $2.6 million for the team's last year in Cinergy Field.

Levy has been in his current position for nearly nine years. He was responsible for Redsfest as well as marketing.

"I have great memories," he said. "I thought we made great progress. I'm really going to miss the people. I'm proud of what we did."
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    This is a very good sign and it's just the beginning. Hopefully Allen and O'Brien are soon to follow Levy into the ranks of the unemployed.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with you CRF. Although it is obvious Levy has done a good job, this only tells the story of Castellini wanting a change. And that he is perhaps making things happen now. I am wondering if this could mean Castellini has given DanO a gameplan for the meetings.