Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O'brien says he's free to deal

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what to think Wally. I just thought that Dan O essentially has his hands tied in terms of major moves due to this ownership change, like I said I have limited knowledge in regards to this but wouldn't a trade of magnitude or what not have an impact on the transaction price? Again, correct me if you know something, I am just saying based on what I am GUESSING that I don't think much is going to happen til the new powers to be are in place.

That and the main core of the MLB team has to be viewed as Dunn, Harang and FeLo. I don't trust Dan O to trade them and I wouldn't want another GM to do so, because I don't think you can get the quality that a player like Dunn deserves back. As for Harang and FeLo... we know our pitching problem so Harang is a lock as for FeLo an offensive player like that at SS and on the upside of his career is a keeper. I am not really concerned with Dan O at this point, assuming we want to remain competitive I want Dunn staying and with the rumors circling above us like vultures ready to feast, I am a bit jumpy to post in regards to my save Dunn initiative.

from what lancaster wrote, i don't think DanO's hands are tied to tightly, and i have no idea if a teams talent is accounted for int he sale price, but i suppose i could see someone from the new ownership group telling DanO not to trade those three players. Something along those lines.

If that's the case, which i think would be reasonable, that doesn't really change my position on what DanO should be doing. For instance, the rangers asked the twins for liriano and more for blalock. the twins need offense, and if that's the sort of deal they are finding so far, it shouldn't be too hard to pry loose baker for wily mo. but if the twins get offense in the winter meetings, that's one fewer option for us.

the only reason that dano should be doing nothing on the trade front right now, IMO, is if he is going to be fired within weeks and the new owners are willing to gamble that we'll miss out on something in that time because they think he is unfit to do the job.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    If O'Brien does hang around for one more year, I don't want him to trade Dunn or even Kearns/Pena unless someone gives him the green light, because I simply don't trust his judgment on the issue. If he can make a good deal, I wouldn't object, but I don't want him to make a deal without approval from someone else, because I simply don't trust him to make a good deal and I want to be sure that it is a good deal before it's signed in ink.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Here are the situations. We have to all agree that DanO is definitely the GM going to the Winter Meetings, right? So, if you can agree with that, then we have two ways to view this. Both of these ways have been addressed, so lets take a closer look.

Poiint #1: DanO cannot get it done at the Winter Meetings and we should not trust him to make a deal. We should just wait for a new GM to be hired and then make our move.

Point #2: DanO does not have a track record of making a big deal and he might not be able to get it done. But, we have no choice but to trust him to make the right deal because if he does not have at least some things in the works we will not see an improved team whatsoever because all the possibilities will be gone. Every player we needed would be traded somewhere else because DanO did not get anything done.

Point #1 makes a lot of since if you are scared of DanO like I am. But it still leaves the team in dissaray. This will mean that we will not make any significant moves and we will still likely trade an outfielder and get something of less value because the market minimized due to the fact that the players we needed were traded away.

Point#2 makes a lot of since if you want to see some improvements on your team instead of hoping that a new GM could come up with something out of nothing.

I would much rather be scared of DanO's ability to make the right trade than to be scared of a new GM being able to make some magic because he does not have a lot to work with. But imagine this. What if DanO does not make a move during these meetings and he is still our GM coming into the start of the season? Would we want him to have to be that GM that has to make something out of nothing? I wouldn't want to see that at all because I am definitely scared with him making any moves at all (but we need him to now). Not to mention how scared I would be if he still needed to trade an outfielder and he makes a desperate move to try and make something happen. This could very well be the scenario if DanO does not get it done at the Winter Meetings next week. This is one thing I would really not want to see.

So, in conclusion, I want to see DanO make the move even though I wish it were not him doing it. Regardless of who the GM is, we have to make a move and it has to be the right one. And I don't see DanO trading Dunn for a guy like Arroyo because he was asking for something better than an Arroyo for Kearns or Pena just a few months ago. I think he knows the talent of these players and he still should be decent enough to expect a worthwhile return.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    DanO's free to deal alright... free to deal anyone who is not named Griffey or Dunn
    rf28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12