Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Closer off the board

MLB ERA

One Closer off the board

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/bre...p-313970c.html

B. J. Ryan signed a deal for 5 years and almost 10 MILLION DOLLARS a year with Toronto. Geez, if we want a closer then we are going to have to top what we gave Milton last year, and to be honest its not worth it with whats out there.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    you could take a chance on O.D. He'll be cheap.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    you could take a chance on O.D. He'll be cheap.
    Setup man maybe, never as a closer. Id rather run Weathers back out there as our closer than let the gas can go out there in the ninth.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    well, rumor has it Foulke is available...go get him

I doubt that closer is something the Reds will be looking to acquire. It might be prudent to do so, but money should be spent on starting pitching before they worry bout someone to close out games.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree albba, but a closer is still a big need IMO. DanO was able to sign two SP and 3 RP last offseason. But it cost a raise in the payroll. This year we have to sign our FA and Dunn to a LTC. So a SP acquired by a non expensive OF (Kearns, Pena) would pretty much be the most we could get with our salary. And that could still raise our payroll a bit. Unless Castellini will raise our payroll, weathers will be the closer in 06 with Wagner and Coffey waiting in the wings.

Remember that Coffey has developed a split-finger and it is supposed to be a good one. he may have a legitimate chance as the closer out of ST with weathers setting him up.

MLB ERA
    Unless Coffey's splitter is incredible, he'll be just like Graves was this year. He's way too hittable to be a closer, despite good control. I'm still a huge supporter of Wagner, and as long as we can not overwork him in the first two months of the year, he could make one hell of a closer. Weathers will probably end up being the closer, but he's not a long-term solution and we really don't have any more guys coming up through the system who have closer potential. Belisle could be a bit of a sleeper candidate for the closer spot. His stuff is good and his control has been improving, though I don't know that he can blow a save one night and bounce back with confidence the next.

Really, if we want a closer off the FA market, the only options I like even a little bit for the price are Farnsworth to a three or four year deal or Tom Gordon for this year, giving him a chance to prove himself as a closer again.

one word: Allan Simpson.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hasn't Simpson been known to have pretty shaky control over his career? I know he supposedly has good stuff though (I've yet to see him pitch.)

Anyway, I really dig Farnsworth. I have no clue what he would command but he's got velocity, nasty stuff and is still young enough to be in a possible core for us. BJ Ryan's signing does not help any team though in the market for a closer, that is any small market team.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    one word: Allan Simpson.
    that's two words actually

Farnsworth'll take a 3 year, $15-18 mil deal, I assume.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Farnsworth'll take a 3 year, $15-18 mil deal, I assume.
    There is another plus to Farnsworth... he can kick some serious butt in a fight. Just ask Paul Wilson!
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Which is why I don't like the Farnsworth thought to be honest. Yes, I want talent, but for the price and the possible headaches I would stay away from it. Gordon may be more interesting IMO. But with him, we may as well take a chance with Simpson, Wagner, or Coffey. I think Belisle would be a really nice set-up guy too. But I see him more as a LRP as they still think of him as a spot-starter.

MLB ERA
    Simpson has shaky control at best and really no other pitch besides his fastball. I'd absolutely love to have Farnsworth, and I think Wilson could probably get over any lingering feelings he had if he actually had someone that could hold his leads. We could give him a four-year deal for less than we paid for Milton, and it'll be much less of a risk. I'd really like having Gordon as well, but he wouldn't be a long-term option.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Simpson has shaky control at best and really no other pitch besides his fastball. I'd absolutely love to have Farnsworth, and I think Wilson could probably get over any lingering feelings he had if he actually had someone that could hold his leads. We could give him a four-year deal for less than we paid for Milton, and it'll be much less of a risk. I'd really like having Gordon as well, but he wouldn't be a long-term option.
    Control and lack of crunch time moxy is the exact reason why the Cubs and Tigers let Farnsworth go, I don't want him.....even if he did pitch well for the Braves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast