Thread: breaking news: aurillia and ortiz option declined

MLB ERA

breaking news: aurillia and ortiz option declined

The Reds and Rich Aurilia have mutually agreed to decline his $2 million option for 2006. The Reds have also declined their $4.55 million option on Ramon Ortiz, though he remains arbitration-eligible. Barring something completely unforeseen, I imagine they'll non-tender Ortiz by December.

Apparently, the Reds are leaving the door open to bringing Aurilia back as a free agent, depending on what else is out there.
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AA ERA
    PRAISE THE HOLY REDS GOD!!!!!

PARTY TIME REDS 06 now that part of the trash is gone

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully this cash saved will be spent elsewhere (or at least on keeping Dunn) rather than just being pocketed.

How many want to bet that RA wanted out of his option because he believes he can get more elsewhere?

So long guys.

MLB ERA
    *Does the No Aurilia dance*

I think I was happier about the lack of Aurilia than I would've been if I heard we signed AJ Burnett. Even though he'll probably be back next year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Best news we have heard in a while!

Great to know that so far this offseason has gone well. Hopefully the trend continues.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Per Lancaster's blog:

Aurilia's thoughts

Talked to Rich a little while ago. He was just back from a neighborhood pumpkin-decorating extravaganza with his kids and sounded pleased with the whole situation.

He said this resolution, declining the option and allowing him to become a free agent, is what he ultimately wanted. It allows him to come back to Cincinnati if that's how things fall, but doesn't tie him in without allowing him to explore the other options out there. However, it didn't sound like a return to the Reds is real high on his radar screen. I think he'd ideally like to hook on with a team that has a legitimate chance to contend and trains in Arizona.

"We’ll have to wait and see what happens," he said. "I think I proved what I needed to prove this past year as an individual. The thing that killed me all year was just not being in a race – that’s what I’m used to doing. Not to say that’s going to happen (for the Reds) next year or it’s not going to happen, but now our opportunities maybe have changed and our chances for going somewhere maybe have changed as opposed to last year, when I felt I needed to get a chance to play a little bit and reestablish myself."

Aurilia said he'd be open to a utility-type role that would have him playing second, third and/or shortstop if he could play every day or close to it. But he said it's too early in the process to have a firm idea on what opportunities along those lines might be out there.

"I really haven’t heard anything," he said. "I know my agent was at the World Series this week, and I’m sure he saw a bunch of people, but I don’t know if anything was said or not. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens."

Either way, he said he was pleased to get everything taken care of so quickly after the season and he appreciated the Reds calling so early in the process (they had until 10 days after the end of the World Series to act).

"I think right now it works out for both parties involved," he said. "If I don’t return there, I wish those guys nothing but the best. I enjoyed my time with that team and the guys on the team. We’ll just see where it takes me from here."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

MLB ERA
    Half the business is realizing what you don't need in the future.

Old shortstops and crappy pitchers among them.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    exactly, and we have plenty of it.

I don't see why a lot of people do not see Freel as the overall better option anyways. Aurilia was slightly better defensively as far as fielding pct. goes, but Freel brings better range. Aurilia was good with RISP, but Freel was the basestealing, lead off, start a rally threat. My choice is for Freel to be the starting 2B with either Olmedo or Bergolla backing him up. Both would be great utility infielders and are supposed to have a bright future. This way we can use the money for Aurilia toward pitching and we won't have to worry about Aurilia's crying earning him PT over EdE, Felo, and Freel.

AAA ERA
    o thank god....i would jump even higher for joy if we could figure out how to get rid of ewic milton.

I wonder if the Reds wont try and sign R. Ortiz back as a free agent only at half the cost. I dont imagine many teams throwing money at him.

MLB ERA
    This might be O'Brien's best move ever.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

color me surprised, and very very pleased. i wonder if howard had anything to do with this decision. here's hoping that he doesn't come back somehow.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Could we put Howard in the mix with Freel, Bergolla, and Olmedo as possible solutions to the 2B position? I think we could. heck, we could even have Holbert in that mix as well, I think we have plenty of depth without Aurilia already. Yes, Aurilia is better than all of them but Freel, but that is not going to be the case here shortly. I would fully agree with the Reds just saying good bye to Aurilia for next season and hopefully they use that money on good things.