Thread: Mailbag: Give Bailey chance in 2006?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mailbag: Give Bailey chance in 2006?

Mailbag: Give Bailey chance in 2006?
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

Yo, A.C., why not bring up Homer Bailey from Dayton and let him have a shot with the Redlegs next year? -- Josh W., Cincinnati

Are we allowed to use each other's initials here, J-Dubs? That "Yo, A.C." stuff makes me feel like I'm in an old-school rap video. I dig it.

Actually, Bailey will get his shot with the team in Spring Training. As required by his contract with the organization, he's been invited to big-league camp for 2006.

But no, J.W., Bailey won't be with the club on Opening Day. He's still at least two years away from being Major League ready. The Reds are doing the wise thing by not rushing the 19-year-old in his development. From everything I've heard, though, he has the potential, and he's showing the early signs of being "the real deal."

Great comments on the "Field of Dreams." I'm 54 and still hold onto that "baseball is special" image. It is good to know someone who sees the professional game up close can still hold onto that image, too! Thanks for showing that. -- Mike V., Louisville, Ky.

Thanks, Mike, and thanks to all the other readers, including Kevin T. below, who sent similar notes of appreciation for my anecdote about the trip to Dyersville, Iowa. I wasn't sure if it was a little too sappy, but I'm glad at least a handful of readers appreciated the sentiment of what that trip can mean for a baseball fan.

It just goes to show you ... If you build it, he will write about it in the mailbag.

I loved your story on the "Field of Dreams." Since the movie came out, I myself have been itching to go there. The sermon by James Earl Jones pretty much sums everything up.

I do have a question about the Reds. Why have they not retired the No. 13 worn by Dave Concepcion? His name is plastered all over the Reds' record books, he meant far more to this organization than Frank Robinson (whose number is retired) ever did, no one has worn it since he retired and I can't really envision anyone ever wearing it again, anyway. Just a thought, I guess. -- Kevin T., Indianapolis, Ind.

Thanks for your comments on the "Field of Dreams" segment of last week's mailbag, Kevin. As for your question, I'm not sure what the Reds' plans are with regard to retiring Concepcion's number. You're correct that no other players have worn No. 13 since 1988, his last season, so perhaps that's a sign.

Then again, plenty of players wore Sparky Anderson's No. 10 before it was retired earlier this year, so maybe it's not a sign at all. Maybe players are following the lead of hotels and avoiding the stigma that comes with 13.

Who do you think will be the Reds closer next season? The answer is definitely not [David] Weathers. Will [Ryan] Wagner be given a shot, or could it be bullpen-by-committee? -- Scott S., Indianapolis, Ind.

It's quite clear the mailbag is popular in Indianapolis. Must be related to my recent induction to the Motor Speedway Hall of Fame.

Well Scott, the answer is Weathers for now. He'll be holding down the closer's job, just as he did at the end of this season. Judging solely on the talent currently in the organization at this stage, I would expect either Wagner or Todd Coffey to assume the closer's role in 2007. Matt Belisle, depending on whether the club commits to him as a starter or reliever, could also be given an opportunity in that spot.

What do you think about the chances of Jason LaRue staying with the Reds? I think they are crazy if they let him go. -- Jana P., Des Moines, Iowa

I'd actually be surprised if they keep LaRue. Believe me, that's no knock on his talent, and perhaps you're right in your assessment of the craziness of the situation, Jana.

But with the way Javier Valentin emerged this season, and with the money LaRue can probably command in arbitration after already making $3 million this season, I think the Reds will go with the less expensive and just as productive option in Valentin.

Watching the NLCS as a lifelong Reds fan, I'm reminded about exactly how far the Reds are from both the Cardinals and Astros in terms of talent, payroll, savvy ... well, everything. These are teams that have beaten the daylights out of the Reds in recent seasons, and no matter who the Reds add or subtract in this offseason, it's hard to see the gap closing. My question is simple: As long as the Reds share a division with these two juggernauts, is there reason to hope for anything besides third place? -- John M., Evansville, Ind.

Your frustrations are certainly justifiable, John. And until the Reds improve their pitching staff with some proven arms and/or improve their farm system to the point that they have a sizable selection of solid prospects waiting in the wings, I'm afraid they will have trouble competing with those clubs. It's the sad, simple truth right now.

What's the story with Chris Booker? He was dynamite in Triple-A, posting Rob Dibble-esque numbers, and they barely gave him a chance with the parent club when he got called up in September. Then they lost him to free agency, because they optioned him back down. To me, that makes no sense, especially for a team with a questionable bullpen. Am I missing something here? -- Aaron, Las Vegas, Nev.

Perhaps Booker fits into that "Four-A" category as well, Aaron.

All season, as Booker put up those impressive numbers, general manager Dan O'Brien's Minor League scouts told him Booker didn't have the stuff of a big leaguer. And by the time he finally got the opportunity to show his stuff, it was September and his chances were limited. He struggled in his first two outings, inflating his ERA above the 60-mark and basically making those scouts look correct in their assumptions.

Whether it's fair or not to judge a player on three September performances, the Reds ultimately decided Booker should be back where he spent the majority of the year -- off the 40-man roster.

I didn't get the chance to see Booker pitch with Louisville this season, but based on what I saw in his brief stint with the Reds, I don't see this as any great loss to the club. At 28, Booker had never been to the big leagues, and the Reds rewarded him for his strong season with his first shot. I don't think they viewed him as a legitimate prospect.

And finally ...

If a starter were to go seven innings and, with a two-run lead, was switched to the shortstop position while a relief pitcher pitched a 1-2-3 eighth before the starter was switched back to throw a perfect ninth, would he get the win and the save? -- Eric G., San Juan

I suppose he would. And he'd better get a raise, to boot.
    Article Link

i don't feel great about weathers as the closer, but he did alright there this year. He was 15/19, but not exactly dominant. I'd rather see one of the younger guys get a shot if someone steps up in the spring. narron needs to show that he's the boss.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford