Thread: Prospect Bailey coming to camp

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Prospect Bailey coming to camp

Prospect Bailey coming to camp
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Though Homer Bailey's statistics in his first two seasons as a professional aren't spectacular, just about everyone who has seen the Reds' 2004 first-round pick in action raves about the right-hander's ability.

When February rolls around, Bailey will have his biggest stage yet as he attempts to become the first homegrown, top-of-the-rotation starter for the Reds in a couple of decades. Bailey will be a non-roster invitee to major league spring training in Sarasota, a commitment the Reds made to their top prospect when he signed last summer.

The invitation to big-league camp was not written into the $2.3 million deal Bailey received, as Major League Baseball doesn't allow such provisions, but the Reds told the pitcher they would bring him to camp in his second full professional season and assistant general manager Dean Taylor said Tuesday that the organization intends to follow through on that pledge.

"Ability-wise, he will not look out of place," said general manager Dan O'Brien.

With only 34 professional appearances to his credit, none above the low-Class A level, Bailey will have no chance to break camp with the team, but the experience of facing high-level hitters should be worthwhile - both for the pitcher himself and those charged with regulating his progress through the farm system.

"It's going to be very interesting to see him there, because he's a legitimate guy," said Reds manager Jerry Narron.

Narron got his first extended look at the hard-throwing 19-year-old last week in Florida Instructional League play. Narron called Bailey "very impressive" and said he hopes to see the young Texan continue to rise through the minor league system.

"I'd like to see him moved up the ladder real quick," said Narron. "You just want to make sure he is ready when he comes up."

Bailey appeared in six games for the Rookie level Gulf Coast League Reds after signing last summer and spent all of 2005 with low-Class A Dayton. He appeared in 28 games for the Dragons, starting 21, and went 8-4 with a 4.43 ERA. Bailey allowed only 89 hits while striking out 125 in 103 2/3 innings, but he walked 62 batters.

Baseball America named Bailey the No. 2 prospect in the Midwest League after this season, saying he has a "legitimate chance to become a No. 1 starter in the majors."
    Click here for the rest of Reds Notes

something to be excited about nhext spring. I wonder if they will move him to AA.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If they do, I hope it's in the second half of the year. No need to rush our only elite potential pitcher in the minors. Besides, if he can get his control straight down in low A versus worrying about the higher class of bats in AA, his development would likely be a lot better paced. I don't doubt that he wouldn't rack up the strikeouts in AA but I still think there is work needed to be done before he can really dominate there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree. I would want him to stay in A ball until he improves his control some more. This will give him some incentive to work for the next level and will allow him to dominate before the promotion.

I am kind of excited to see if he can get MLB players out this Spring as well.