Thread: Booker, Jimenez and Weber elect for FA

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Booker, Jimenez and Weber elect for FA

Cincinnati Reds - Announced pitchers Chris Booker and Ben Weber and infielder D'Angelo Jimenez have elected for free agency; declined to renew contract of first base coach Randy Whisler.

Per CNNSI Transactions

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really think it hurts to lose Booker. He was amazing in Louisville, and even though he got touched up in his September call up, he can still be a huge presence for our bullpen soon. Honestly, what other young options do we have that are better than Booker that could be ready next season?

Booker is ready to play in the majors and I can't blame him. This had to be a tough decision for DanO, but where are the better options? Hopefully DanO may know something that we don't. It sounds like he is liking Wagner's new mechanics in the instructional league and Coffey's new splitter. But is he going to go after someone like BJ Ryan this offseason?

Better options than Booker in our bullpen now:

Wagner
    Weathers
    Shackelford
    Mercker
    Hudson
    Hancock

Maybe:
    Coffey
    Standridge

These are only because we have only seen Booker in minimal appearances for the Reds this season. His performance should not be measured as he is learning on a bigger stage.

MLB ERA
    Booker's 28 and doesn't have major-league stuff. He's not worth a major-league contract.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'll be honest, I never saw Booker in person (or on TV for that matter) but I would consider taking a flier on him. That is of course the Reds don't plan to pursue other options this offseason. If the status quo is the name of the game, at worst he helps the Bats out.

It would be nice to see the Reds actually target some young relievers with big time stuff. Wagner I don't think will ever keep it together and healthy for one whole season and I dont see Coffey being anything but a nice setup guy.

MLB ERA
    I'd love to have Booker back working out in Spring Training trying to win a spot but the other two were givens considering how this year went for both.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yep. And according to this article Dan O appears open to bringing both Holbert and Booker back via MLC's. Although despite his lackluster performance, I wonder if Booker holds any resentment for how long it too khim to get called up with strong AAA numbers?

Booker and Holbert might return to Reds organization

Though both reliever Chris Booker and infielder Aaron Holbert have refused outright assignments to Louisville and become free agents since the end of the season, the Reds would like to have both back in the organization next year.

O'Brien said Tuesday that signing both players to minor league deals for 2006 remains a definite possibility.

"We encouraged (Booker and Holbert), procedurally, to elect free agency so there's no limitations for them to re-sign with us if that's what they elect to do," said Reds general manager Dan O'Brien.

Marc Lancaster
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....510120320/1035

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I didn't even know that Holbert elected for FA!

Anyway it would be nice to get both of these guys back, especially Booker. It was kind of cool to see that the Reds may have been honest with them too. Gave them some advice on how to handle the offseason decisions. That was very classy IMO.