Thread: i hate Dan O'Brien

i hate Dan O'Brien

Quoted in the post as saying:

"The reality is that with the offense we produce, if we can get to somewhere in the vicinity of the league average, that positions us to win some ballgames."

"Two things go hand-in-hand in any ballpark," O'Brien allowed Thursday from the Gulf Coast. "With individuals who are either sinker-slider pitchers that get ground balls, or strikeout pitchers, with either of those two, you usually get home run suppression."

He finally understands that pitchers who get outs are better than pitchers who don't! we're well on our way to the postseason now!

Groundball pitchers and strikeout pitchers are all that there are DanO! No one goes around marketing themselves as a deep flyball pitcher. That would be like calling someone a baserunning mistake pitcher. "yeah, i mostly walk guys or hit them, and then hope that they just keep running and throw them out at secod or third."

There are guys who get ground balls, guys who get k's, and guys who get shelled.

Funny, you don't hear much about pitching to contact anymore do you? Where did they dig this guy up? he is a disgrace.

The rest of this laugh riot is at:

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....510070324/1027
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Strikeout pitchers are a good thing? Oh because that likely means they have dominant stuff which is good. I see.

And given our homer friendly ballpark, seeking pitchers with a favorable ground to fly ratio and are stingy with the longball is also good. Hmmm, this is all starting to come together.

O'Brien needs to realize the more he opens up his mouth, the more of a fool he looks like (just when you think it isn't possible for someone to appear anymore ignorant.... uh.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Finally! But do you guys think he will do anything about this? I am going to try and be positive and say that hopefully he will. he has every reason to follow this need full stride. But can he get Lindner or the new ownership to coincide with this need? Can he show them that he will pick the right man for the job this time? God I hope so. May the hunt begin!

The Milton deal proved he had no clue.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, I dont think anyone expected Eric Milton to be as bad as he was. But anyway you cut it, for our budget the deal was bad. Sure the market was slim last season but as a small market team in a strong division, overpaying for at best an average pitcher near 30 is just too much. And hasnt Dan O gone on record saying that really all the credit for the draft/scouting for the draft is on Reynolds? If so, other than making a few moves for guys like Nelson, Germano, Chick or pickups like Kozlowski (whatever), what has Dan O really done to improve the farm system? This guy just hasnt done much and what he has done usually fails (or course there are some exceptions.)

MLB ERA
    Strikeouts good, walks and homeruns bad?

Mission, we need this O'Brien guy in out OOTP league.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    To be fair, I dont think anyone expected Eric Milton to be as bad as he was. But anyway you cut it, for our budget the deal was bad. Sure the market was slim last season but as a small market team in a strong division, overpaying for at best an average pitcher near 30 is just too much. And hasnt Dan O gone on record saying that really all the credit for the draft/scouting for the draft is on Reynolds? If so, other than making a few moves for guys like Nelson, Germano, Chick or pickups like Kozlowski (whatever), what has Dan O really done to improve the farm system? This guy just hasnt done much and what he has done usually fails (or course there are some exceptions.)
    His whole resume as a GM is dependant upon those kind of guys you mentioned. He's had three years to get us some pitching and so far he gets a big zero...even worse than Jim Bowden's eye for pitching

Management has given him one more year. He has one more year to get us some pitching in a trade or have his youngsters like Nelson or Germano come through. If this doesn't happen we'll have another ugly year in 2006.

I hope I'm wrong but I think O'Brien will go down in flames as a GM next year and we'll be left to rebuild once again.