Thread: At 35, Weber says he's not done

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

At 35, Weber says he's not done

At 35, Weber says he's not done
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Back at home in Beaumont, Texas, on Friday afternoon, Ben Weber admitted to missing Cincinnati a bit.

"I'd rather be there, but I understand why I'm not," he said. "I didn't fulfill my end of the bargain. That's the bottom line."

After signing a one-year deal worth $600,000 last December, Weber appeared in only 10 games for the Reds in 2005, posting an 8.03 ERA and allowing 30 baserunners in 12 1/3 innings. He spent most of the rest of the season on the disabled list with a bulging disc in his neck before being activated and optioned to Louisville to finish out the year.

The veteran reliever was not among the Reds' September call-ups earlier this week after the minor league season came to an end, and was designated for assignment Tuesday to make room for Chris Denorfia on the 40-man roster. He wasn't the least bit surprised.

"Shoot, I didn't do much for them when I was up there the first time," said Weber. "I realize that they're pretty much out of it, so they want to take a look at other guys. If they don't have any intentions of bringing me back next year, then what's the point of calling me up to take innings away from guys that they actually want to look at?

"I'm a little disappointed only because I went through a lot to try to come back. I think, honestly, most people would have sat on the DL all year, without a doubt. But I didn't do that, and that's the only reason why I'm a little upset - but not a lot. I can totally understand that they had no intention of bringing me back next year. I just feel bad that I couldn't do more for them, really."

Aside from paying Weber all year with little return, the Reds aren't too hung up on what they didn't get from the right-hander this year. When they put him on the disabled list May 9, they called up Todd Coffey for his second stint in the majors and he ended up becoming an effective member of the bullpen, gaining valuable experience he'll be able to take into next season.

As general manager Dan O'Brien put it, the Weber situation was just one of those things that happens in baseball.
    Click here for the rest

I'm sure Weber will be getting a call from Tampa Bay.

MLB ERA
    Or the Yankees.