Thread: What about Aurilia?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

What about Aurilia?

Are we going to get rid of this guy before tomorrow? I have heard somewhere (don't remember where) that the organization wants to keep him around for next season. I really would hate to have him in the plans for next season. Although, humility kicks in when I have to say he has been good this season. I just can't stand to see him take Freel/Bergolla/Olmedo PT away. Will one of those three guys be on the move before Aurilia? God I hope not. What do you guys think is going on here?

MLB ERA
    Hes done well since coming back from injury. But hes 32 and we got a stable of guys that are waiting, hes not needed with this team continuing to look to get younger. Also It may not be just Freel, Olemado, and Bergolla that he takes time away from. Remember if he plays 2b and Freel plays in the OF that could take Pena, Kearns, Dunn, Griffey, or Casey (with Dunn at 1b) out of the lineup. If he plays 3b he takes Encarcion out of the lineup and IMO hes not worth that much if it means we stunt the growth of the future.

Plus he doesnt want to be a utility guy let him go to someone who thinks they could use him as a starter, like Minnesota.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So would you venture to say that a deal may be in the works right now? I wish.

i am baffled by the rich aurilia situation. DanO stated again (in the article CRF posted today i think) that the reason rich aurilia hasn't been delt is that it takes two to tango, or his usual response, that there hasn't been a party interested in aquiring him.

Are other GMs morons?

For the last three months Rich has hit .317/.381/.504 for a .885 OPS. For the reds, that doesn't matter, because we are out of the race. If he had hit like that for the first two months of the season, that might be different, but barring a miracle, we should be looking to the future.

But what about other teams in the various races around the league. Look at the OPS numbers for the 2b position on these "contenders"

NYN: .634
    MIN: .648
    SDN: .670
    NYA: .687
    CLE: .704
    WAS: .709
    BOS: .709

There are others too, but these are the ones that stand out the most. So why wouldn't there be any interest in him. He's been around the block, he's been on a lot of other teams, he's cheap, he's a free agent after the year. There's no reason a team like MIN, SD, or even the redsox shouldn't have thought about him.

So there are three answers i see.

1. DanO is lying about there being no interest in Aurilia, because he wants the reds to win as many games as they can this year, thinking that it will help his chances of keeping his job if the reds can get close to .500.

2. other teams have seen what an jackass rich is, and really have no interest in him, inspite of having terrible players at 2b.

3. (highly unlikely and i don't think so, but it's possible) rich has tested positive for roids and is in the long appeal process now.

Of these, i have to think it's option #1, since i can't see all of those GMs being willing to gamble the post season because they don't like rich. If that's the case, i just have to hope that if DanO stays around, and the team brings rich back for camp next year that they give the young players next year the chance that he didn't give felipe this year.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    O'Brien seems afraid to dump Rich since Freel's on the DL. Apparently Olmedo isn't adequate backup since Danny O is trying to save his job by getting the team as many Wins as possible.

Olmedo might not be as good as Rich has been(LATELY), but he would be OK for the rest of the season. O'Brien is scared about losing his job, even though he's more than likely gone at the end of the year anyway.

Wally, if your number three option were true, I would be ROFL for sure! I would be embarrassed and sickened if it were most other players(maybe all) on the team, but not if it's Rich.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Or it could be that one or more of the groups interested in acquiring the Reds have asked Lindner not to trade any more players. I would think the new owners would like to make those decisions. If Aurilia is back next year it tells me the FO (whoever they may be) is out to compete and they want veteran players. Aurilia is just so/so at second but he does have a good bat. In fact, just recently he was leading all Reds in batting with runners in scoring position. If they go with the kids like Bergolla and Olemeda that says their looking to compete in 2007 or 2008. This off season should be berrry interesting?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    O'Brien is scared about losing his job, even though he's more than likely gone at the end of the year anyway.
    That's just wishful thinking for you guys. O'Brien stays because Lindner and Allen would admitting they made a huge mistake if they let O'Brien go.

MLB ERA
    There's no way Bergolla should be with the team next year. I wouldn't mind having Aurilia around as insurance, but not as a starter or anything.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian
    Or it could be that one or more of the groups interested in acquiring the Reds have asked Lindner not to trade any more players. I would think the new owners would like to make those decisions. If Aurilia is back next year it tells me the FO (whoever they may be) is out to compete and they want veteran players. Aurilia is just so/so at second but he does have a good bat. In fact, just recently he was leading all Reds in batting with runners in scoring position. If they go with the kids like Bergolla and Olemeda that says their looking to compete in 2007 or 2008. This off season should be berrry interesting?

There's no way they wouldn't let the team trade Aurilia. Aurilia's bat has been good lately, but his numbers still aren't GREAT and neither is his career. His range is also terrible. He's not a player that would draw the concern of new owners in regard to keeping him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    That's just wishful thinking for you guys. O'Brien stays because Lindner and Allen would admitting they made a huge mistake if they let O'Brien go.
    Actually, no it's not. Several sources have reported it's going to happen, and a few others have hinted at it for some time now.

And if new owners come in, it won't really matter what those two think anyway.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    There's no way Bergolla should be with the team next year. I wouldn't mind having Aurilia around as insurance, but not as a starter or anything.
    Hes already opened his mouth TWICE that he doesnt want to do that. Why would he change next year? I dont feel like digging through the posts to find it but he wants to start not be a utility guy.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Trade Aurilia for anything you can get, or just let him walk at the end of the year. It's the only way you can fix the mistake of signing him in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Looks like Aurilia isn't going anywhere now. Its a shame the opportunities this team had, and they threw it all away. I think this falls under wally's theory number one. DanO is trying to get all the wins he can to get to GM another season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am still in awe by the team's handling of this. Redsrbetter is right. The Reds had plenty of opportunities to get better and blew it. Hope the Reds have a better offseason.