Griffey, Lindner talk ... tennis
Club CEO doesn't mention trades to outfielder

By John Fay
Enquirer staff writer

Ken Griffey Jr. got a call from Carl Lindner Wednesday.

We know what you're thinking.

Griffey was thinking the same thing. But the word "trade" never came up.

Griffey was in his condo when a number with a string of zeroes came up on his caller ID.

"I knew it was Carl," he said. "I answered it. His secretary said, 'Mr. Lindner would like to speak to you.' "

Griffey figures the dead period on the line lasted only three seconds. But that was long enough for his mind to wander. Would Lindner, the chief executive officer of the Reds, ask Griffey if he was willing to accept a trade? To the Chicago White Sox? Somewhere else? Would he tell Griffey he wasn't going anywhere?

"It seemed like about five minutes," Griffey said.

When Lindner got on the line, the conversation was about tennis. Lindner had heard Griffey's wife, Melissa, was a fan. He wanted to know if the family wanted tickets to the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Mason.

"We talked for about five minutes about tennis," Griffey said. "He said they had a nice box there."

Griffey asked for tickets for Melissa and their daughter, Taryn.

Lindner didn't mention any trades. Griffey didn't ask.

Wasn't Griffey tempted to ask Lindner if he vetoed the rumored trade to the White Sox?

"I can't control that," Griffey said. "I don't worry about it. I worry about the other 24 guys on this team."

Griffey doesn't think Lindner vetoed it. And, though he says he doesn't worry about it, he is tired of hearing about it.

"Thirteen days. I'm keeping track," Griffey said.

Thursday was 13 days until Aug. 31. Once Aug. 31 passes, Griffey is assured of remaining until at least the offseason, because for a player to be on a playoff roster, he must be obtained before Sept. 1.
Click here for the rest of Reds Notes