Thread: Casey doesn't care where he is in order

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Casey doesn't care where he is in order

Casey doesn't care where he is in order
    By Hal McCoy
    Dayton Daily News

MILWAUKEE | As he printed Sean Casey's name into the No. 2 spot in Sunday's batting order, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron said, "When Casey sees this, he might throw up."

Asked if he regurgitated when he arrived in the clubhouse, Casey knew why the question was asked and said, "Why, because I'm batting second?"

Casey pulled a T-shirt over his head as he readied to put on his uniform and said, "You know speed kills, so that's why I'm up there, me and Ryan Freel."

He didn't say which side his speed would kill because Casey's speed from home to first is two steps slower than a three-legged turtle.

Then why was he batting second? Because Narron scanned the figures of how his Reds had done against Milwaukee lefthander Doug Davis.

"Sean is hitting .343 this year against left-handed pitching and against Davis the only guys who have done anything at all are Casey (.333) and Jason LaRue (.333)."

Narron batted LaRue second in Chicago because of his success against Mark Prior and considered batting LaRue second Sunday, but said: "If I do that I end up with Adam Dunn down in the seventh spot and I don't like that. I really like Casey in the fifth spot. We've played really well with him batting fifth (10-5)."

Casey said it matters not where he bats, "Because when I go up there I'm not thinking, 'I'm batting second or third or fourth or fifth.' I'm only thinking about seeing a good pitch to hit. I know it isn't permanent. It's just that not too many guys hit Davis."

Casey batted second regularly in 2002 and 2003 during the Bob Boone managerial regime, sometimes behind leadoff hitter, uh, Dunn.

It showed in the early going when Davis struck out four of the first five Reds. Casey was the exception with a single. Then Casey singled home the game's first run in the third and LaRue doubled in the fourth, but the Reds eventually lost to another Davis, relief pitcher Kane Davis, 8-3.

Lopez rests

Ray Olmedo made his first start of the season at shortstop Sunday and Felipe Lopez watched from the dugout until drawing a late-game pinch-hitting assignment, still locked in a 1 for 30 slump.

"We're going to try to give Felipe days off a little more than we've done for a month or so," said Narron. "This is his first time to play every day in the major leagues and shortstop is draining mentally, as much as physically. We'll pick our spots and give him a day off every seven to 10 days.''

The Pena plan

They say outfielder Wily Mo Pena is available to pinch-hit, but he didn't do it in any of the three games in Milwaukee. Narron said he'll be available to pinch-hit and pinch-run today and Tuesday at Great American Ball Park against the San Francisco Giants.

"He said he isn't quite 100 percent, that he can still feel it (a sprained left hand) a little bit," said Narron. "We'll probably wait until (left-hander) Nick Lowry pitches Wednesday to get him in there."

Trainer Mark Mann said Pena should be available tonight, "To do as needed."

Farm report

• Pitcher Justin German, acquired from San Diego in the Joe Randa trade, held Durham to three runs and seven hits over six innings and was the winner in Class AAA Louisville's 7-3 victory over Durham.

• Pitcher Josh Hancock makes his last appearance on rehab tonight for Louisville against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, then the Reds must decide to activate him or option him to the minors.
    Article Link to Reds Notes

Rookie ERA
    I don't care were he hits either, as long as he keeps getting hits and driving in runs. And when he stops doing that... Get rid of him.

MLB ERA
    Considering where Casey's been hitting most of the year, he hasn't been driving in very many runs at all. He's got an extremely empty .315 average.

MLB ERA
    I did find the note from John Fay the other day interesting where he mentioned that Narron said he thought Casey was not being as open about how much his injury was still bothering him as he seemed to be letting on. It is a pretty consistent pattern that he's struggled with his gap-to-gap and HR power when he's been dealing with the shoulder injuries. It will be interesting to see if he does remain with the team next year(and I hope he's traded) if he is healthy and as a result hitting more Doubles/HR.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.