Narron maintaining focus
His job status not affecting his work habits

By Kevin Kelly
Enquirer staff writer

CHICAGO - Jerry Narron, the Reds' interim manager, believes in playing the game the right way and coaxing the best possible effort from his players.

"I know that a lot of people could care less how you play or how you go about the game," he said before Wednesday's win against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. "If you're going to be successful for any length of time, you better play the game right."

Narron stressed that his interim status does not affect the way he goes about his work.

"I just know I've got to live with myself every day," Narron said. "Every time I look at the mirror, for me, it's to get this team better, this organization better and to do it the right way.

"The length of time that I'm here is not in my hands. But while I'm here, I'm going to do everything I can to get these guys to play the game the right way."

The Reds have responded to Narron, going 25-19 overall and 13-9 on the road, since he replaced Dave Miley on June 21.

HEADED HOME: Wily Mo Peņa's off day will be spent traveling back to Cincinnati to have his left wrist examined by doctors.

The Reds outfielder has been experiencing some discomfort in the wrist, which caused him to miss five games last season, over the past few days. He was taken out of Wednesday's game in the seventh inning.

"The doctors are just going to check it out, because I think it's the same thing I did last year," Peņa said. "It doesn't hurt bad like last year, but I can feel it."
Click here for the rest of Reds Notes