Thread: White Sox interested in Griffey?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

White Sox interested in Griffey?

Junior, Wagner are must-haves
    by Paul Ladewski

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

So what will it be, White Sox? Are you content to be first-half champions? Or do you plan to stick around for the big enchilada?

The first four months of the season have been as good as a baseball season gets on the South Side. The best record in baseball. Twenty-five guys who play as a team and are easy to like. A human live wire of a manager who has given the franchise an edge, even if he has Martin Lawrenced a few ears along the way.

Yet the question remains, are the Sox good enough to advance to the World Series for the first time in 46 years? As of this second, maybe they are. The problem is, the answer may be different next week, by which time the Boston Red Sox and the Los Anaheim Angels and the New York Yankee$ almost certainly will have made monster moves to beat the Sunday deadline.

Now you know why Sox general manager-miracle worker Ken Williams has to be his usual aggressive self in the next six days.

More to the point, why team investors have to ante up enough money for Williams to make the necessary moves.

For instance, like acquire outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and reliever Billy Wagner, the two players who can put the Sox over the top and send a message that the organization really is serious about this World Series thing.

Here's another reason why the Sox should seriously consider Griffey and Wagner: If they don't grab them, then chances are the Red Sox and Yankee$ will.

The Red Sox are desperate for a proven closer and are known to have Wagner on their minds. Hey, after Timo Perez took converted starter Curt Schilling to the warning track in the ninth inning the other night, wouldn't you be? The Yankees have a hole so big in center field that they may ask Bobby Murcer to come out of retirement. But if the Sox get to Griffey and Wagner first, they take them away from the two teams they may very well meet in the playoffs.

The Sox should be able to acquire Griffey from the Cincinnati Reds and not upset their current nucleus much if at all. An offer of kid outfielder Brian Anderson or pitcher Brandon McCarthy and the choice of three veterans such as pitchers Jose Contreras or Damaso Marte or outfielder Aaron Rowand would probably be enough to pull it off.
    Click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am not really bolding that one part because I trust the info or the possibility... I just find it hilarious. If the Dan O'Brien was able to get McCarthy to add to our pitching prospects plus some of those vets, woah, I'd send him an awesome fruit basket.

MLB ERA
    Griffey isn't going anywhere. Unfounded rumors continue to circulate regardless by some idiots though. Sigh.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Why would the White Sox give up guys like Aaron Rowand, Damaso Marte, and Brandon McCarthy (and whoever else) to pay Griffey 10 million? Griffey may be the 2nd best CF in baseball this year, but is he worth a good prospect and a rising CF that is already pro level, especially at his salary?

I'm with CRF here.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Fisher, this is just some moron who has odd desires to get Griffey. The chances of that happening are about as great as Jessica Alba calling me up to make arrangements for a date. I would love for either to happen, but that's what dreams are for.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well as much as I wish that we could trade Griffey for any of those guys and even more so because it would get one of the hottest girls on the Earth to take out mission. I agree that this is an impossibility. Too bad.