Thread: Trade idea

Trade idea

Since the Nevin for Ponson deal is dead, why don't we send Casey to Baltimore for him?

One bad contract for another.

And I know Ponson sucks, but maybe a change would do him good.

MLB ERA
    Ew. I'd rather have Casey than Sir Suck.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am kind of mixed on this. It would mean that we no longer would have the 4 outfielder problem. But on the other hand, Ponson is terrible, maybe more so than Casey. I would consider something like this as a last resort if we can't do something with the Mets, only if we got Baltimore to cover a good deal of Ponson's contract so we would save money to have to offer Dunn in the offseason.

at this point, i'd do it. casey is a double whammy because he is unproductive and keeps a potentially productive player on the bench. At least with Ponson he wouldn't be keeping some young stud out of the rotation, since we don't have any.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

My question is, as Reds fans, are you willing to give up, what is a positive value 1B (he isn't a great hitter, but he's a middle-tier 1B.) for a pitcher who has known off-the-field altercations and has pitched extremely poorly this season. I know it solves the position problem, but hasn't Dunn said he doesn't want to play 1B or would prefer the OF? Likewise, even though Casey is expensive, the odds of losing the cost are low as teams will only exchange for an equal contract.

Wouldn't Nevin play in the COF anyway, not 1B?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

I'll pass .

MLB ERA
    No, No, No a thousand times no. There would have to be two riders on the deal. #1 we are getting a good spect or two included and #2 they pay all of Casey's remaining money and part of Ponson's. Ponson is another Milton plus probably 80 lbs, who gives up a lot of fly balls and weve seen what it has done to Milton.

Ponson would not be worth giving up the mayor regardless of what it would do with who would be starting now.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Lots of thoughts have to come through just to consider this. Fishercat reminds us that Dunn may still say no to playing 1B. Then we will have to do something about that. Then, we still wouldn't be saving any money with a straight up trade. Ponson has almost 1 million dollars more on his contract than Casey. If Ponson was the pitcher that he was a few years ago, then we do it without a doubt. But not now, not with all these circumstances needing to be met.