Thread: Narron will play Kearns and Pena and hope one takes off

MLB ERA

Narron will play Kearns and Pena and hope one takes off

Complete game, roster additions bolster Cincinnati

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | On a night when the Cincinnati Reds were presented with their first complete game this season by a starting pitcher, manager Jerry Narron's feeble roster was completed with the addition of Austin Kearns and Ryan Freel.

Narron received a complete game from Aaron Harang and a couple of genuine major-league ballplayers on a night his Reds thwacked the Chicago Cubs, 9-3.

This time it was the Reds wielding the thumping sticks, with four home runs hit early enough to build Harang a lead to protect.

Harang shut the Cubs out for six innings, gave up a couple of home runs in the seventh, then righted himself to finish what he started — seven hits, no walks, one strikeout and 100 pitches.

"I was throwing strikes and they were swinging," said Harang, as he ended the Reds' run of no complete games at 94. "I kept my pitch count down, the defense played great behind me and the offense put some runs on the board early."

Felipe Lopez homered in the first, Adam Dunn homered in the second, Ken Griffey Jr. ripped his 522nd career homer in the third, the Reds scored two in the fifth, Javier Valentin homered in the sixth and the Reds scored three more in the eighth on two hits.

"Aaron has been our most consistent guy all year and with some run support in some games his record (6-8) would be reversed," Narron said. "It was nice to score runs early, something we haven't been doing, especially recently."

Kearns arrived in the dugout from his forced exile in Louisville in the seventh inning to a high-fiving dugout celebration.

"Great to be back in the big leagues and those guys are like family so it was good to see them, pretty cool," Kearns said.

"I went down and relaxed and tried to get things together," he said. "Oh, yeah, they monitored my weight a couple of times a week. I did a lot of running, a lot of cardio-vascular stuff. I'd say I lost 10 pounds, but I saw so many numbers thrown around about my weight. . ..

"I understood what was going on when they kept calling up different players and not me," he said. "Jerry (Narron) would call and explain what was going on."

Before Kearns left the clubhouse Wednesday, he stopped in Narron's office, on request, to find what the near-future will bring.

"I wasn't in on the discussion when Kearns was sent out, but I'm sure it had to do with getting into better shape," Narron said. "He needed to get his weight closer to what he was when he came to the big leagues. He was around 235 then and he was above 250 when he was here.

Asked if he thought the added weight impeded Kearns' performance (.224), Narron said, "I don't know if it did, but if you are at a higher weight than what you were when you were successful, people will say, 'You're not doing the same things you did two years ago because you're heavier.'"

Narron saluted Kearns for what he did at Louisville in addition to his Richard Simmons program — .342, seven homers, 21 RBIs in 111 at-bats. Narron said he has no set plan for his two right fielders, Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, "But I'm going to try to play both of them and hope one really takes off for us.

"Having Freel and Kearns back gives us a pretty good bench every night and gives us a chance to rest some guys every day," he said. "We have a lot of depth today that we didn't have yesterday. And, no question, position-wise, we are a better team."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I wanna see Kearns play tomorrow.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Kearns should play. If he struggles let him get out of it. He is a good hard nosed player. I would love to have a guy like that. My only guess would be that the Reds may try and make a deal and send Kearns or Freel packing?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    No point in sending Freel packing. He's got an immense load of value to the team, but wouldn't bring that much in a trade.

I would like to see Kearns play also but who sits down? IMO Pena would be the odd man out with Kearns in the lineup. Jr has just been hot so far after the All-Star break and Dunn is just lethal at times and you cannot take him out. It would be awesome if Kearns could duplicate his AAA success against big league pitching. If that happened, even though I wouldn't completely like it, then I say trade Casey and get Dunn at first to allow Kearns a regular position in the outfield with Jr and Pena. Man what a lineup:

Freel
    Lopez
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Randa
    Kearns
    Pena
    LaRue/Valentin

Rookie ERA
    I'd like to see Kearns pick it back up at the major league level - if anything, so we can send one of the other OF's packing.

MLB ERA
    Pena has struggled lately, so Kearns should be starting a lot.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.