Thread: Washington post:Jimbo wants larkin back

MLB ERA

Washington post:Jimbo wants larkin back

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/200...11719-3190r.htm

With shortstop Cristian Guzman continuing to struggle offensively with a batting average below baseball's ignominious Mendoza Line, Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden is considering a radical solution.
    Before last night's game against the Colorado Rockies at RFK Stadium, Bowden said he had called Nationals special assistant Barry Larkin to try and persuade the 12-time All-Star to come out of retirement and play for the rest of the season. Larkin, 41, ended a spectacular 19-year playing career with the Cincinnati Reds last winter.

Bowden, the Reds' former GM, has summoned Larkin twice this season to work with Guzman at the plate, but it hasn't helped. The shortstop is batting .190, more than points below Larkin's career average.

"I wouldn't keep calling if I didn't think there was a chance [to lure Larkin out of retirement]," Bowden said. "Would I like to see him put [a uniform] on and help us out the last two or three months? Yeah."

Meanwhile, manager Frank Robinson kept Guzman in the lineup last night in his customary eighth spot in the order. The switch-hitting Guzman went 0-for-3 and now is 0-for-15 since returning Thursday after missing 10 games with a strained left hamstring.

Following Sunday's 5-3 loss at Milwaukee, Robinson contemplated replacing Guzman with utilityman Jamey Carroll, who is hitting .246, but ultimately decided against making a change immediately.
    "He's in the big leagues, he's playing," Robinson said.

The Nationals made Guzman their most expensive free agent acquisition with a four-year, $16.8 million deal that lured him from the Minnesota Twins. The Nationals believe the 27-year-old, who averaged .266 over his first seven seasons, is their long-term answer at shortstop, but nobody in the organization can figure out why his hitting has fallen off so dramatically.

"We have to solve Guzman," Bowden said. "Solving it isn't going to be trading him. ... Solving him means we've got to get his bat going somehow. It's going to be magnified when you lose. When you win, you can carry him because of his defense."
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    This looks like a perfect time to send them Rich Aurilia and get him out of our hair
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

He can have Tony Wizzack.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Aurilia for Livan Hernandez sounds fair to me, though they might have to throw in Chad Cordero.