Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunn, Kearns, Randa, untouchable?

MLB ERA
    LOL. A combo. of hunches and what's been said by O'Brien and Narron lately about him being a part of the future. Also, a few whisperings.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    OK dude, what whisperings. You kill me with this stuff.

MLB ERA
    It's more like my interpretation of what I've heard. I've mostly heard SOMEWHAT open-ended things, but I take Kearns being less likely and Pena more likely out of them(even Dunn over Kearns at this point possibly). I really can't add anything else for now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Cool man thanks for that though!

I just don't understand how Kearns and Dunn could be so untouchable with them and the GM not getting along. The normal organiztion would put them first on the list. So maybe DanO does not put personal issues ahead of his agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I hope he does not hold on to Randa for too long. But it may be a good thing that people are seeing that Dunn and Kearns are too hard to get. I wouldn't mind keeping Kearns around for another year as long as we get to keep Pena as well. That means Casey should be our guy to go. Is he being touted as untouchable as well? Gammons did not say anything about him, so we may have our guy.
    Well the price for Randa should be nothing less than what a #1 draft pick would look like 'cause that's what we should get if we let him walk at the end of the year. I think that's the basis for the Jeremy Sowers talk.

As for overpricing Dunn and Kearns--I like it. I'd ask a lot for them too. If he can't get a decent price now then we'll hang onto them into the off season. There's no pressure to trade them now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats true, there is no pressure now. I have been thinking that there was for some odd reason, but something is definitely going to have to be done before next season.

Jeremy Sowers?!? I haven't heard anything about us wanting him!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Why feel pressure to trade either Kearns or Dunn? Their values are at lows, it would be foolish unless you get back the value you normally would demand.

BUT, feel the pressure to trade Casey. Market the hell out of him, offer to pay a nice chunk of that contract and forget about the return. Griffey is not going to be traded per his request (and I don't think that will change) and the future is Dunn, Pena and Kearns. Trading Casey will at least free up some cash to sign Dunn to an LTC (and IMO, it would be optimal to sign him sooner than later, arbitration is just going to make it worse). Casey's value is at a low as well and I am just saying this for if we HAVE to trade someone.

As for Dan O and Kearns, what an odd relationship. Kearns hates the organization basically and the Reds have made some odd moves in his regard but they really do seem like they almost envision him as the centerpiece if you listen to some of the stuff they say. I personally think it's because his payday is a little later than Dunn's, but that could just be me.

what sense would it make for DanO to go around shouting "hey everybody, come get players cheap!" How many deals have happened yet? Deals happen right before the deadline, and i'm glad that DanO is starting high, it's called negotiating. If he asks for a high price for randa now, he has room to come down and still get a good deal. No team ever takes the first deal offered.

The next two weeks will determine if i think DanO should stay to finish his contract. If he deals Casey, Randa, and Aurilia, i'll give him the props he deserves. If he deals one of the young OFs and keeps any of those guys, i'll want him gone. I'm willing to give him two weeks to get the best deal he can.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    For me it's not whether he just deals the outfielders or the vets... it's the return on any of them. If he deals the vets. for garbage, I will be angry. If he gets a great return on the young players, I will be pleased, even if he doesn't dump all of the vets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12