Thread: Secret Memo from Fox

Secret Memo from Fox

Found this on another Reds forum, dont know if its true or not, but its very similar to a lot of what was said last night.

Fox Broadcasting

Memo

To: Director of sports programming
    CC: Joe Buck, Tim McCarver
    Date: 07/11/05
    Re: Upcoming All Star game broadcast

Please use the following guidelines for the All Star game broadcast:

1. If you are interviewing someone during the game action, please use a split screen so the viewers can see the person being interviewed. They would much rather see the interview than a full screen of the actual game action.

2. Make sure you refer to Ivan Rodriguez as the greatest catcher of all time. We’re getting tired of hearing about Johnny Bench. If you must compare any modern catchers to past greats, Fisk would be a good choice.

3. If Felipe Lopez gets into the game, please refrain from saying anything positive about the team he plays for. We don’t like that the best shortstop in the NL doesn’t play for one of our favorite big market teams, so try not to draw attention to it. Maybe if you tout him as a proven product of the Blue Jays farm system the viewers won’t be as likely to associate him with Cincinnati.

4. Every attempt should be made to make the broadcast appeal to younger viewers or music fans. Any pre-game gimmicks are good, especially if they involve a fan who has a very slim chance to win some money. The viewers will be on the edge of their seats. There may be a few adults watching or younger people who value the tradition and history of the game, but these viewers will be in the minority. Throw them a bone by bringing in an older broadcaster or some other respected baseball icon. Since the game’s in Detroit, Ernie Harwell would be a good choice. If you let him talk for a couple minutes, that should make the traditional fans happy, but don’t let him go on too long. If he starts into nostalgic talk about former great players, cut him off and go to a pre-game gimmick to keep the attention of the younger fans. We don’t want our viewers dwelling on the past so much.

If you adhere to these guidelines, we should have a successful broadcast. Just remember that most of our viewers have short attention spans and aren’t interested in the history of the game. Keep that in mind and all should go well. I will be watching.
    SBSL-Washington Nationals

MLB ERA
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's good stuff CS. LOL. But I think you forgot one.

5. Instead of showing crisp and clear shots of the action, make sure to cut as much as possible to our lowgrade, bad angle "Diamond Cameras." Fans will like what we tell them to like, even if it's terrible. Oh, and if you receive complaints about the cameras, just do awful impressions of Eminem's song "Just Lose It," that is sure to win over the hearts of America.

MLB ERA
    It was a joke, but definitely funny.

Baseball isn't FOX' thing. They shouldn't try to make it their thing. Stick to action/comedy shows.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    It's obviously not real, but I must say that I was amused.

AA ERA
    Diamond Cam was ok to me, but WAY overused.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Does Fox have the World Series again this year?

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Does Fox have the World Series again this year?
    Yes.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks CS! I definitely feel the pain that the truth may look close to this. Man, that hurts, but it may not be too far from the truth.