Page 54 of 122 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Reds Rumblings

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Crappy defense and bad weather leads to a night that overshadows Griffey's big blast.
    We have now lost 6 of our last 8.

As I expected, the skid continues. This team has no one to stop long losing streaks/periods, just as they haven't for years. It's absolutely endless.

As for Griffey, as much as I like the HR, his outfield defense is just TERRIBLE anymore. He allowed the Tigers to score at least an extra run or two they shouldn't have because of his defense.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    The Tigers lost 119 games three years ago but are this good now. If only we had a GM like the Tigers do and a manager like Jim Leyland. He doesn't accept all of the pathetic mental errors, etc. We get stuck with Jerry Narron, not surprisingly, an O'Brien move.
    Trust me man. We had our own O'Brien back in the day named Randy Smith, he truly screwed this team up. I remember going through the 119 loss season, and it wasn't pretty around Detroit. Nobody really talked about the Tigers, expect for the diehard fans. Even then you couldn't go an argument without cursing the team. Dombrowski is amazing, but it doesn't mean he's perfect. He's done some screwed up things, but Leyland was his best move. It's all about team chemistry and the basics with Leyland. The Reds time will come, just be patient guys. You guys got a great GM right now in Krisvky.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    As for Griffey, as much as I like the HR, his outfield defense is just TERRIBLE anymore. He allowed the Tigers to score at least an extra run or two they shouldn't have because of his defense.
    It's kind of like the old Dunn cancel out feature. A contribution to the loss no doubt, but not as big as it was to the progression of a possible win. But I agree on the D, I've been calling for a shakedown for awhile now.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    It's kind of like the old Dunn cancel out feature. A contribution to the loss no doubt, but not as big as it was to the progression of a possible win. But I agree on the D, I've been calling for a shakedown for awhile now.
    Except his hitting overall really hasn't been that good. Dunn's has.

Griffey's OPS was under .800 at the last update. I'm not sure if that includes tonight's HR, but that's what it was before tonight. It was under .600 over the last seven days coming into tonight too.

That just magnifies is miserable defense.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I'm not sure this team will be great three years from now like it appears the Tigers are.

I just can't believe in this franchise until they get to the point that I have no choice but to believe. I've been disappointed too much in recent years. It gets SO old.

How about Pujols, BTW? 21 HR and 53 RBI on the year now. He is on pace for 80 HR and 200 RBI. Wow.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Except his hitting overall really hasn't been that good. Dunn's has.

Griffey's OPS was under .800 at the last update. I'm not sure if that includes tonight's HR, but that's what it was before tonight. It was under .600 over the last seven days coming into tonight too.

That just magnifies is miserable defense.
    And I would know that, but we're talking about tonight, not last night. Sometimes Griffey's D is not a negative production (never a positive, but some nights he is not challenged to the point where runs score as a result of his lack of range), tonight it was but all that is forgiven when considering the blast and production of said blast, ala Dunn, that's my point and not that Dunn=Griffey. Ok. Simple comment.

MLB ERA
    Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30

I mentioned the specific game, but I did say "anymore" in terms of his outfield defense.

What I was trying to get at is that not only is his defense usually awful anymore, but his hitting hasn't been there either in general.

I thought you were talking about in general too since you mentioned you agreed about his defense overall. I assumed you meant that his hitting overall canceled out that D because it has been good.

Crossed signals a bit, I suppose.

MLB ERA
    Oh, and if Narron hadn't wasted Coffey last night when we were up 9-4 in the 8th, he probably could have closed this game out tonight and given us a big win.

More evidence that Narron is clueless. He could have brought in Belisle, Shackelford or Hammond last night in that situation but decided not to.

Coffey has no truly defined role. I know the pen isn't strong and sometimes the "key" situation for Coffey might not be in the 9th inning, but Narron compounds the problems by the way he manages the bullpen.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yep. I think Griffey of a .900+ OPS won't happen this season but we do have to remember that he was off for a month and it might take some time for him to get into the swing of things, literally I suppose. It was just very encouraging to see him turn on that fastball by the hard throwing Zumaya because we know we should worry about Griffey when he can't catch up to that. No doubt the defense will be a problem the entire year and if Narron purchased some logic, we could at least lessen that blow but I think if he can stay healthy we can see that OPS float around .850 OPS by season's end.

MLB ERA
    Narron and logic?

I think we're asking for way too much out of him.

I think the fact that O'Brien liked him so much says a lot about him.

Just an outsiders view, but don't you think that Krisvky is just waiting till the end of the season to evaluate things. He's probably just giving Narron this season to prove himself. If Narron doesn't work out, I see Krisvky bringing in his own manager.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hey gang, I updated the sigs (took out the traded guys) and added in a Lizard sig since he is back in the rotation.

MLB ERA
    I think Todd Coffey's making a pretty good case for having a sig.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No doubt. The last two were position players and starters, but Coffey earns one even if most of the pen doesn't.

MLB ERA
    Arroyo looked good in the first inning. The hit he gave up was because Griffey is useless in center and he struck out two with good looking movement and command.