Page 14 of 122 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Reds Rumblings

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's awesome CRF. It's going to be one hell of a pitching matchup tomorrow. I hate when we play the Rocket but you can't help to love watching him as just a baseball enthusiast (as a Reds fan it's usually a different story.)

Anyway, I am likely to only be around for the start of the game. I am playing with some kids I used to be in a band with in HS for somebody's graduation party. It should be crazy.

MLB ERA
    wutcha play mission?
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Guitar.

MLB ERA
    wutcha got rockin? i have a fender p-bass and a ibanez acoustic that i use practically everyday lolol.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    1969 Fender Stratocaster is my main weapon of choice. It was my dad's and he gave it to me as my graduation present last year. I have a few others that I use but that's my baby.

MLB ERA

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Tell me about it. I already loved Hendrix but man, once I got that it was like me and Air Jordan's as a little kid all over again. You know you can't be like Mike but that won't stop you from trying.

Rookie ERA
    guys, do not go see lords of dogtown. i was outvoted lastnight when i went to the movies with my friends...... it is so cliched. anyone who actually skates or has seen the original documentary will be sickened by this incarnation of it. there is a lot of unintentional humor in it though. no wonder the commericals are running rampant with pimping this flick, they know it wont spread via word of mouth (at least not in the sense that more people will go see it based on recommendations but a bunch of comic book guy wannabe's will be on their laptop in the theatre.... "worst. movie. evar.")

MLB ERA
    Thanks mission. I can't wait for the game!
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hm. 12:50 or so at night, I'm tired, I have a lot of math HW due tommorow or Tuesday, I had a tough working day, and I'm up. Why, dunno?

Still working on the college search. I have at least nine I want to visit as realistic possibilities.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    What are some of those possibilities waruv/Fisher?

Or as Dan O'Brien would say: "potentialities".
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

The potentialities are split between in-state and out of state. Nothing that big to be really recognized out of the region. The out-of-state ones I'm looking at are Hampshire College (Oddly enough, in Massachusetts), St. John's college (either Maryland or New Mexico), Stonehill College (Mass), or Marlboro College (Vermont), perhaps The University of Maine is my biggest school choice.

We'll see, it's a long time.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

- mosquitos have 47 teeth

- today i arranged 9 railroad ties (those bastards are HEAVY) to create my driveway. made it through the first five before i ran inside to puke and take a nap on the bathroom floor. some good snoring, i tell ya, lol. finished the rest of them a couple of hours later when i gathered up the courage. was in the 80's today, with the humidity in the 55% range.

- took a walk back on Adams Lane tonight, a truck passed me along the way. NO ONE lives that far back on Adams Lane. there is a colonial style home back there, it's probably 150 years old or so. there is a cemetary close the house, some of the gravestones are from the Adams children that evidently died from the flu or other illness when they were around a year old. when me and my two dogs (the oldest one stayed home) arrived at the end of Adam's Lane, three guys were coon-hunting. i've never seen a coon in a tree, but they were using some device that looked a miniature version of one of those old antennae that sit on top of houses.

- dave miley can do NOTHING right, i think he's either been told to screw up (so they can assure themselves of getting rid of salary, and possibly a number one draft pick), or has decided to give the club a one-finger salute for taking so long to sign him to a contract this year.

- our garden is coming along nicely. this is my second year at trying gardening. last year, we started in July, only grew bush beans, tomatoes and pumpkins (that never made it to maturation). this year i feel i have come along way. i tilled a 30'x10' section by hand this year, with a hoe (actually two hoes, and neither of them were my wife), pretty good for a guy with spine problems. we tried growing everything from seed, but found out that it really is true that you pretty much stand 0% chance of starting tomatoes, carrots, onions from seed outdoors. the soil and temperature must be perfect. so, we bought plants for those things. we're going to try growing blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. i'll take some pics and link to them from here.

- i'm getting ever so closer to permanently walking away from using Microsoft Windows. Currently i'm learning Linux through Mepis. It's pretty solid, only problem i had was with my sound card. the sound card may be dead (or it could be a driver support issue), but after putting in a similar looking card, all is well. the only obstacles that stand in front of me now are that the printer won't be fully usable in linux, my wife has Windows-only games that she enjoys playing from time to time, there are other software packages that my wife enjoys using, that we have not found an adequate substitution for in Linux. of course, linux doing new things and is gaining popularity by the day, so it's entirely possible the software vendors (and hardware vendors) will start writing software for Linux that is on the same level of quality as that in Windows.

- months ago i put up four long sheets of washable white-board in the computer room, and have enjoyed drawing diagrams on it. i am an inventor (just not an implementor, yet!), so i go through periods where i go crazy with the whiteboards. guys, these things are cheap, you should consider doing this for yourself!

- i have some computer books i need to get rid of, mostly in languages (Java, C++) that i never really had the interest to learn. i've never really considered obtaining a compsci degree, so it just never made sense to commit the necessary years of devotion to a powerful language like C++. currently i'm interested in learning Python and Ruby, and i know a little PHP. i suck at designing websites, so it's very possible that i will one day just say "Screw It!" and get rid of all my computer books, and enjoy life as a gardener and casual user of computers. it was a lot more fun to play video games (and learn computers) back when i didn't have dreams of making money with these technologies.

- soon, maybe my wife and i will be able to find some cheap laptop computers. i just hate how much space desktop machines take up. it should be illegal to even produce any more of the CRT's, yuck. they're clunky, bulky, heavy, dust hogs, and they depreciate in value very quicly. if i were to stay the desktop route, i'd at least want to go all-wireless and get rid of all those cables, and get some really large flat-panel monitors.

- it's still cooking in here. today the dryer almost caught on fire. i put a half-load of wet laundry in the dryer, but set it for the maximum time to dry. not smart. at one point, the trailer was filled with smoke, and i thought it was foggy outside. went to check, and realized that the laundry room was just a wee bit hotter, LOL.

- our new neighbor on our right side is pretty cool. he runs a "wrecker service". i think he has Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, because he rambles on needlessly (just like me) and at the age of 23 he seems pretty kid-like in some sense. can't quite put a finger on it, maybe he just "lives dangerously"? might explain why he's a drag racer. well, he reminds me a lot of my brother. the kind of guy who moves in next door to you, talks about how he's going to do this and that, sets up a nice yard and house, then poof. he's gone. the neighbor seems to want to compete with us. the other day he was looking at my garden, and saying that it was too late for him to start his own. of course it's not too late, and whatdayaknow, he's started up a huge one. so, for a guy who started out saying that he wasn't that big into gardening, and now he's talking about how he canned over 100 jars of green beans last year by himself, it all seems sort of strange. i mean, i like him, he just reminds me a lot of my brother. hell, i very likely have AADD myself, given that i have a hard time staying interested in something, before i'm off to something else. his girlfriend is HOT. the other day she was walking to their garden, and she looked over at me, she wearing those pink, tight shorts in that tight, skinny body. i'm standing there with my wife, and of course i look over at this chick. my wife says "i bet you liked that, didn't you?". i just grinned. yesterday i was talking to her boyfriend, and she walks by in some cute little outfit with tight shorts and just grins at me. i was totally speechless. maybe i should get a restraining order against her. still, they seem like nice people. my wife made up a card for them the other day, along with some banana bread.

- yesterday my neighbor helped me pull a rock out of my yard. the rock was flat and about 2 feet long, and looked like the shape of Kentucky. the rock was standing straight up in the ground, with about an inch of one end sticking out of the ground. i have never seen anything like it. it took his huge wrecker truck with a big chain to get the rock out. a couple of times the hook slipped off the rock as he was pulling it. the hook and chain would come flying back at the bed of the wrecker, VERY CLOSE to where my neighbor would duck to avoid getting hit. there was no way i was going to dig that thing out.

- earlier i was talking about gardening. my wife and i want to start up a "pay us to grow your produce the organic way" business, where you allot 4'x4' plots to your customers. we just bought the "Square Foot Gardening" book, an EXCELLENT method this gardener (a retired engineer) came up with decades ago. it virtually eliminates weeding, saves 80% of the water you would have wasted in gardening the "long rows" way (currently i'm gardening the "raised row" way, which results in more wasted water but a lot less weeding), saves lots of space, is easy to manage (as you can lean over the bed from any side). we're going to try that method next year. Gardening the SFG way may eliminate the need for a tiller, which to date we haven't been able to afford. those tools are way to expensive for the average gardener, someone who is only going to use the tiller once per year (maybe twice, for late season growing).

i'm off my rant box now :p

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    The potentialities are split between in-state and out of state. Nothing that big to be really recognized out of the region. The out-of-state ones I'm looking at are Hampshire College (Oddly enough, in Massachusetts), St. John's college (either Maryland or New Mexico), Stonehill College (Mass), or Marlboro College (Vermont), perhaps The University of Maine is my biggest school choice.

Cool, sounds good. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat

Fishercat, i just moved from Massachusetts and even though i have only completed a two-year degree (Springfield Technical Community College, Springfield, MA) i think i had a good grasp on how education works in Massachusetts. i mean, it's "education", but i really didn't think the state does a great job in that department. i briefly attended Berkshire Community College (Pittsfield, MA, where i lived) and found the staff there to not really give a crap about the students. of course, that school was having a lot of problems. i did think of going to the University of Massachusetts, but heard that even though it's a very popular university in the New England area, it's very much a "drinking university" and that their technology-related programs were less than par-for-the-course as far as universities go. Schools up there are WAY over-priced, my wife and I went to visit Hartford University and walked away shaking our heads that a very expensive university like that couldn't even keep course and admission-related catalogs on hand, and DIDN'T KNOW WHERE THEY COULD FIND THEM. Hampshire College could very well be "different", but I prescribe to the thinking that schools are usually on par with those that encircle them. Just one opinion.