Thread: Griffey: ''I ain't going nowhere. I want to end my career in Cincinnati."

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Griffey: ''I ain't going nowhere. I want to end my career in Cincinnati."

Help wanted? Reds have solutions The last-place Cincinnati Reds, 20 games out in the National League Central, appear to be one team that contenders are honing in on for potential deals between now and the trade deadline. But one player who says he's staying put is Ken Griffey, a 10-5 guy who said last week he'll veto any deal. ''I ain't going nowhere. I want to end my career in Cincinnati." Adam Dunn (23 homers) could also be attractive, while third baseman Joe Randa (.301, 12 HRs, 45 RBIs), infielder Rich Aurilia, and pitchers David Weathers (5-1, 3 saves, 3.57 ERA) and Kent Mercker (2-1, 2.72) could all be had. Also available is Sean Casey, who is hitting .316 but has only three home runs and is due to make $8 million next year.
    Click here for the article

That's good to know Griffey wants to stay.

I kind of got the idea that he wanted out of Cincinnati.

MLB ERA
    Good. Griffey may be overpaid, but I love having him around. He's a leader, he draws fans, and he's just fun to watch. It's obvious he can still play, and we wouldn't get equal value in a trade anyways, because we'd be doing it to dump salary.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well this frees up a lot of thinking. The player we have to try and trade now is Casey IMO. He has a huge contract and none of us seem to like his GIDP antics. He is a great talent and a great player to have around the clubhouse, but we have bigger talent in Dunn that could cover the 1B position.

I am ony bringing this up because Griffey was the only other one with a big contract that could have been traded, and that is out the window. And we need to free up money to pay Dunn. The only other option is to trade Milton, but that is highly unlikely.

Well, if Griffey's going to stay, trading Casey is the most reasonable choice. No one's going to take Milton.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

What a relief,great words from Junior.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, do you guys realise that Griffey used a double negative in his statement. "I AIN'T going NOwhere." Well if he is not going nowhere, then he is going SOMEwhere. Just had to disturb you guys for a moment. LOL.

I for one love the fact that Jr would stay to finish out his career. Also I am warming up with the idea of moving Dunn to first and trading Casey. Put someone in the outfield that has some speed to run down long balls and bloop "singles". Far too often Dunn and Pena seem to be trotting to get the ball and it lands in front of them instead of in their gloves. Now is the time before everyone gets a load of Casey's contract vs. power for a 1B.

I love Casey, he is probably my favorite player. I hate to see him go, but its time to.

That is interesting to hear but we'll see. This Spring he was asked a similar question and he said he didn't know if he wanted to finish his career here. So what has happened since then, so wonderful, that now he wants to stay? Maybe he just wants the press to quit asking.