Thread: Cards have interest in one of the outfielders?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cards have interest in one of the outfielders?

Took out the sections on the Reds:
    If the Cardinals go after one of the Cincinnati Reds' outfield triumvirate of Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, Reds general manager Dan O'Brien will certainly ask for at least one of the organization's most prized pitching prospects, Anthony Reyes and Adam Wainwright.

"Those guys are part of our future," Jocketty says. "I don't know if we want to part with that, especially if you're talking about someone who doesn't project as an everyday player."
    Kearns is likely to be available

Dunn and Albert Pujols are the game's two most prolific young power hitters. Kearns, now in the minor leagues, is considered most likely to be dealt. He was among the NL leaders in almost every important offensive category before reliever Ray King, then with Atlanta, landed on him at the plate in May 2003. A capable right fielder, Kearns suffered a shoulder dislocation and major structural damage, became out of shape and hasn't been the same player since. Few doubt he eventually will return as a force.

Two summers ago Jocketty settled for Mike DeJean and Sterling Hitchcock with his pitching-poor team in a losing battle with the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros. Ownership then told Jocketty he was unable to significantly raise payroll. This year the Cardinals project 3.4 million attendance after originally budgeting for 3.1 million, which should provide about $8 million of additional revenue.

Dunn makes $6 million this season and will probably approach $9 million through arbitration next winter. Without addressing Dunn by name, Jocketty acknowledges he is equipped to pursue a high-dollar player.

The Reds, Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Devil Rays appear the most obvious targets to provide outfield help.

Destined for last place, the Devil Rays have no postseason aspirations and may be willing to part with Aubrey Huff, who has suffered a power drain this year after hitting 86 home runs the previous three seasons.

The Rangers see themselves as a wild card contender, but not with their current pitching staff. Kevin Mench, David Dellucci and Laynce Nix allow the Rangers a surplus to deal for pitching.

To better themselves now, the Rangers require a major-league starter.
    To see the entire article...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man, this shows that the Cards are going to get even better with their ability to make another strong move by the deadline. Should we add to their powerful lineup? Depends on what we get, but I would be very cautious to deal with them without getting a leg up on them. If they are trying to win it all this year, we can help, but we want your future.

This makes sense, because Larry Walker is [sadly] breaking down.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    If we are going to trade Kearns to a team in the division we better be getting both of them, cause the last thing I want to see is him PWN us for the next 15 yrs in a St Louis uniform and the spect we get doesnt pan out.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    The Cardinals have nothing in their farm of note that the Reds should want. There's also the interdivisional incest, which just disgusts me.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    That's interesting. General is right-Walker is starting to break down everytime he's playing. I think its time for the Cardinals to get a future OF. Reggie Sanders has been playing for centuries and who knows when he'll break down. Sooner or later, Edmonds will be up there in age.